Disguise

"I don't understand your ways. They say true love is forever"
Your Ways by The Jackson's

Unfortunately, Michael's little plan to have me disguised to visit the children's hospital last night wasn't possible. His contact had Friday's off, he let Bill leave early to spend some time with his wife, and the hospital was closing in an hour. In a huff— he pouted.

I wish he didn't have to take us to his car parked outside of my building to come to the realization that taking me there on the spot wasn't feasible. I swear I heard camera shots, for his baseball cap was a less than satisfactory disguise for a man with well over 10 million fans. More pictures are all I need right now.

I reassured him that we can do it all tomorrow, but he just rebutted that waiting another day would only make it harder for him to get over me. In a spell —of sorts, I felt his sadness and loneliness, even. I ended up pinky promising him that we would do it tomorrow and that things will be platonic and more comfortable to manage now that we both know each other's values. He took my load of bullshit and ran with it— but more like drove.

When I went back to the apartment without him— I was slapped back into my previous mentality. I cooked, did the dishes, swept, finished the paperwork for my clause, did more for my taxes, even. Most people would say that it was productive, but my mind was elsewhere last night... Everything I did was half-assed because my mind continued to battle itself. I was conflicted... I am conflicted.

As always- it seems- my thoughts were disrupted by the home phone ringing. I ran to it, and picked it up effortlessly, not thinking for one second it could be Nathan because he hadn't answered over a dozen of my own calls earlier in the day.

"Hello," I chirped, as I was preoccupied with other tasks.

"Bell" Nathan's groggy voice spoke. I froze in my spot and felt as if I had swallowed a canoe.

Usually, I'd begin yelling at him in mother tongue for not answering my calls, and he would giggle as he told me to relax in a calming tone.. but I was too petrified to do that.

"Hey, um. Nathan, how's your mom? Is everything okay, sweetie?" I cringed at me calling him that, knowing if he saw the alleged photos his father spoke of that he'd laugh at the pet name.

My stomach clenched when he did, in fact, laugh. I felt a rush of guilt- more than ever before."Dad and I fought in the backyard when I got here," he ended his sentence with a dark chuckle, and I fell back onto the couch with a sigh. "Let me tell you," he started his tangent.

"Tell me, babe" I spoke almost exasperated by the mini heart attack I just had.

"I walk in like 2 hours late, and I feel horrible, motherfucker said my mother is dead of course I want to see her right away. I even cried on the plane when we had to detour around the storm. So yea, I walk in, and I'm apologizing as I drag my bags up the steps, and who do I see?" He paused. "My momma cooking in the kitchen. My face drops, and they both have a good laugh before welcoming me in."

"What the fuck?" My face was stank, as my husband told his story. "So your mom knew your father said that she was dead to you?" I tsked beneath my breath. I never liked that batshit family, anyhow.