Prologue

"My apologies sir, but Subject 789 was unsuccessful."

It's dark in this room, but the scientist has been here many times, it no longer unnerves him. The shadowed man behind the desk doesn't either. Admittedly though, it took many years for that to happen.

"The experiment and results please."

The voice rumbles and echoes in the room, commanding respect despite the politeness. The scientist shuffles some papers, the routine engraved in his brain.

"Subject 789 was a twenty year old male, collected without trouble, noted to be cheerful, and didn't resist at all. His best pair was a parrot. It appeared that we were going to have another Teir 3, but once the metamorphisms began to form, the subject died."

The scientist looks up at the shadowed man, waiting for him to release him like normally. When the man does nothing except let out a disappointed hum, nervous beads of sweat form on the scientist's face. His mind quickly trying to determine if he has done anything wrong. Every person here would do the same. No one wanted to upset the man who has given them so much.

"You were there, correct?"

"Yessir." Apologises sit ready on the scientist's tongue, even though he has done nothing wrong to disappoint this man.

"How was Subject 789 reacting to the serum?"

The scientist's eyes flicker down to the papers, not comfortable with the unexpected question.

"Positively in the beginning, but once-"

"No, not that." The man leans forward behind his desk, the scientist's heart beating frettedly. "How was the subject behaving?"

The scientist lowers the papers, looking away from the man to remember. No scientist in these labs has ever recorded the behavior when the serum was first taking affect, only after. This scientist would have already forgotten had this experiment not have happened only a few hours ago.

"Forgive me sir, I didn't pay much attention to the subject's behavior. However, I do recall him becoming very tense when we injected the serum. I only remember that changing when the subject began to scream."

"What about right before he died?"

"Subject 789's death cut off his own screams."

The man leans back into his chair, the scientist wondering if he'll be released now. His curiosity and nerves grew as the man said nothing. He has no clue what the shadowed man is thinking, but he'll follow whatever he says with no hesitation.

"He gave up."

The scientist blinks, a jolt of confusion running through him. "Excuse me sir?"

"I believe the man gave up during the transformation. He simply didn't want to keep going, quitting when he was so close to greatness."

"Sir, I mean absolutely no disrespect, but our research shows young adults have the greatest probability of success. Those results would never be true if transformations were based on... on grit."

"Yes, I'm not discarding those findings. However, we've had older subjects survive and the prime subjects die instantly. I believe, despite the young body able to transform easier, that a subject's determination dictates whether or not they will survive."

The scientist shifts his weight nervously, not wanting to talk back to the man but wanting to understand his idea better. "We have no way of measuring a subject's determination before the transformation process."

The shadowed man leans forward, the scientist unsure whether or not he can see him smiling. "Then we will collect subjects that we already know are very determined."

The scientist nods, knowing that this idea is now over for him. The man seems to need the collectors now, not a scientist. He is however very happy that this man shared his new idea with him, it makes him feel every honored.

"Very well sir, I'll instruct a caring team to perpare the holding chambers." The scientist turns to leave, fully confident that this man doesn't require him anymore.

"I haven't released you yet." The scientist freezes, shame blasting through him. He turns back to the shadowed man, head lowered. Apologizes within trying to break forth but the scientist dares not speak without being spoken to now.

"I'm not disappointed, it was reasonable for you to assume that I would be releasing you at this point." The scientist couldn't help but to let out a relieved sigh, he never ever wants to disappoint this man.

The scientist supresses an urge to gasp though when the shadowed man stands up and walks to him. This has never happened to him before, nor has it to the other head division leaders who are called here. This must truely be special.

"S-sir?" The man towers over the scientist, who is actually slightly above average height. The scientist's heart slams against his ribs, he's never had the privilege to be so close to the great man before.

"I want you to personally perpare the WB serum and the elite transformation chamber."

Although the scientist knew he already had a close call about misbehaving, he couldn't stop his shock bursting out of him. "S-serum: WB? Are you sure? We have such little success of even normal monsters being infused and we only have one injection. Plus, what are the odds that such a creature will even have a match?"

The man smiles, calming the scientist. The scientist does scolds himself though for disbelieving this man even for a second. This man is great, a pioneer in this field. If the labs are successful to bring about his goal, then all of the world will renounce him as their saviour. All the workers here though already consider him that though. They know this man will not stop until he reaches his goal.

"I'm completely sure of it. After all, who better than the Wither Slayer to best a wither?"

****

So here it is! And before I say anything else, this book will not be written anymore in third person. Only the prologue is special enough for that. And after the first few chapters, when things start moving, chapters will get longer.

Now I'm going to try to schedule every five days, and I'm pretty sure that's not going to change. However, I reserve the right to change this to once every week in case something does go wrong.

That's all really all I have to say. Thanks to you have decided to read my book! I shall hope that you enjoy the trauma coming your way! See you in five days!