Chapter 9: Lukas

"Begin diagnosis."

The jolt of panic that runs through me chases off any thought of sleep. Diagnosis? Seeing how painful their experiment was, I shouldn't let my guard down for the diagnosis. Besides, if it's a normal diagnosis, which I really really hope it is, then maybe I'll learn a thing or two as well.

I don't feel anything happen, until I roll my eyes at myself. Of course I can't feel anything, they numbed me. I focus down and see someone shuffling through papers, that's the only thing really happening right now. Maybe I should go to sleep.

"Sorry sir, these are the results we got from his blood sample." The scientist with the papers hands one over to the devil man, where he begins scanning it. I look to see what the other scientists are doing, and get baffled. They're all starring at this man, as if they need to hold onto his every breath. This isn't some mind controlled thing is it?

"Wonderful, his new DNA has been merged perfectly." The man gives the paper back turning towards the door. "Now give me a map of all his visible new features, write down all of it, and go through the normal procedure."

He gives a glance at me, and to my slightly groggy horror, smiles. "I thought we already put a note down that Subject 811 is strong against sedatives, give it another dose."

My eyes widen at him, and I wish I could move! I look down and I see another needle in my leg, the pant rolled up. At least it's not on my neck though, right? Get another area sore instead.

If I could, I would be nervously sweating. Or my heart would be launching an attack on my ribs. Or squirming about trying to get away from these freaks. But no, everything just gets farther and farther away. As if my body was moving away from me, no matter how I might call back for it.

Which goes my own thoughts. Distantly I hear my own thoughts, as if they aren't even mine. The thoughts are talking nervously about their friends.

They fade away completely, leaving me alone in the darkness. But then they come back, slowly at first. But I claw at them. I blink open my eyes at once, determined to learn what's happening. What these people are trying to do.

I look around and notice a few changes. Like, I'm wearing a new shirt. Still a white prison shirt, but cleaner. That, and most of the scientists are writing stuff, ignoring me.

So all in all, it could've been worse. Actually, does that even apply anymore? I'm part cat now, my friends either just lived through torture to become part animal themselves or died in the process, my other friend has been suffering who knows what from these people, and to top it all of, we aren't even considered humans anymore, just subjects. Even if the worst does happen, it's really just more to the pile.

"Subject 811 is awake again."

"He really is strong, it's only been forty seven minutes since he went under."

My eyes widen, although my body does not recoil in surprise, still too numb for that. But forty seven minutes! That means my friends are done with the 'experiment'! I have to see them! I have to make sure they're alright, I have to care for them. They're all probably freaking out, there needs to be a sane person there.

"Are we following with procedure then?" No! Do NOT follow procedure! I need to see my friends, the fact I can't move isn't helping with that very much.

"Yes, we'll prepare the Assessment Grounds and then get a standard on him. Have you hydrated him yet?"

"Yep, and Subject 811 is at Class G starvation."

"Good." The scientist writes something down. "Go call a few collectors please."

The other scientist nods and exits, and the first injects another needle into me. Now though, I'm totally fine with not being able to move, completely fine just the way I am. No need to change, none at all. I am completely fine without going to this placed to be assessed.