Chapter 36: Lukas

"Have you ever thought about why creepers explode? Because it doesn't make since. It's suicide. Do they really want to kill us so badly that they decide to die too? What even makes them explode? I suppose they naturally create gunpowder and then just eat sand or something. Would that craft TNT inside them?"

I pause, about to continue babbling on, when I hear a sigh from Jesse. I quickly look back at him, still kinda flaky about any changes in his mood. Yet all I see is a relaxed face and closed eyes, soft breaths whispering through his lungs.

A small smile grows on my face, my heart fluttering in relief and gratitude. Jesse's resting peacefully, after all this time. And as another great bonus, he did it in my presence. I suppose that means his wither really wasn't concerned with me being a threat or something.

My small smile grows into a proud grin. The Old Older, and Harper, were wrong. Dead wrong. Jesse is still human, there's no way some crummy wither is going to just destroy all that. Jesse would never allow such a thing.

I glance back at the door. I wonder if Ivor and Gabriel are back yet, I've been down here awhile. It would also be nice to get something to drink. I've been talking for a long time, which I don't remember most of what I rambled about, and my throat is not really used to it. Cat screeches, yes. Not words for. . . however long I've been talking.

Getting up quickly as I possibly can, I sneak out of the library. Just kinda. . . happy. Jesse didn't seem so distant this time around. There was some recovery from what those stupid demons did to us.

A strain of anger makes my tail snap and flick in the air, but with a deep breath I let it go. Now's not the time for this, I should be happy about it. There will be plenty of time to be furious with those demons when we go and attack them. When we go put down their sick operation of kidnapping innocent people.

Forcibly sighing, I trudge through the hall. A wave of grogginess has taken its opportunity to swarm me right now. I suppose I've done a lot today, and I just spent a couple hours just talking and talking. It could, and probably is, night now.

Before I can enter my room though, my stomach grumbles. A smile tugs at my lips as I head to the kitchen, how easy it has been to spoil my stomach into three meals a day again. Other than loss of appetite a couple of times, I'm fully enjoying breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Generally along with a few snacks as well.

Faint whispers drift into my ears, causing them to flicker and my face scrunching up like if I have an itch. I'm not actually that close to the kitchen, are they really being that loud?

Worry prickles my heart, and I'm jogging to the kitchen. The whispers sharpening up under my attention, fierce and urgent but still just whispers. Wispy and weak to the point where I can't hear who's speaking.

"Who cares? We'll destroy them! They're not getting away with this!"

"What about Jesse?"

"I don't know! But I suggest we deal with it rather quickly!"

"But he's unstable, he can't handle the excitement."

"Is that not the reason we are whispering?"

I fling the door the open, holding it so it doesn't bang, but quickly taking into account Gabriel and Ivor. "What are you guys taking about?"

"Lukas!" Petra glares at me. "Shh!"

I roll my eye in return, nose flaring at the sharp tang of sweat as I keep my voice at a normal volume. "Jesse's asleep, completely calm too. Yeah, don't shout or anything, but whispering isn't necessary."