Chapter 17: Lukas

The door slams open, and I jump out of bed in the next moment. Whipping around to face demons standing in the door, my eyes quickly adjusting to the flood of light and I desperately try not to wince from all my injuries hating my reactions.

"Report for duty subjects!" I growl quietly, partly because I can't ignore all my wounds feverishly stinging, but mostly at this demon. "It is time for you to serve our glorious leader."

I quickly glance at the others, Petra barring her fangs as Axel's arms tremble slightly with his entire fist white. Olivia is hissing under her breath too, although even I'm having a hard time hearing that.

Holding the sarcastic remark ready to launch at this man, I try to use my other senses. All practice is good practice right? Taking a big breath through the nose, I can make out at least seven different demons. There might be more though, their scents are just bitter and all the same and actually using my nose like this is throwing me off.

"Well?" My claws slid out at this demon, I would be able to rip that infuriating voice right out of him if I didn't want to get my friends in trouble. "Get moving subjects 812, 13, and 14. Subject 811, you'll be performing in your last test."

I gulp and scoot back a bit, no more beatings. No more torture. I can suck up, I am completely fine with sucking up, but not this. I don't want to be in supreme pain every time I'm forced out of this cell.

"If you don't get a move on, none of you will be fed no matter how well you perform on your tests!"

Olivia shambles forward first, undeniable fear all over her face. Axel immediately steps next to her, veins popping through wherever there's skin and he takes time to glare at the main demon. Petra staggers along next, eyes alight in rage as her muscles tremble in that fury.

The main demon scoffs at me, the one who's feet are so rooted into the ground I think it might take an axe to move me. But the others are moving forward, and they know what 'tests' they're walking into. I have to walk forward too, we're really going to need that food after our tests.

I whimper as I haul my feet forward, throbs all throughout my body, and I tell myself that if I don't then I'll die of starvation and so will the others. I can't do that, so out of the hallway I go.

They are all looking back at me as I exit, and I try to smile at them. Try to somehow say at least we'll be together soon. Olivia tries to return it too, but it looks so terrified. So terrified about what's going to happen but unable to do one damn thing about it.

"Get a move on subject." They spilt us up, definance and fear radiating from my friends as I'm forced to turn away form them.

My fear slowly gives birth to anger, and my stomach churns as I hold in any hisses or growls. What more could they even want from me? Do they really like having three foot long tails and need human ocelots to cut them off of? Are they all insane thinking that they're studying a new species or something?

There are only two demons with me, one in front and one in back. I'm pretty confident I could take on one, maybe two depending how well adrenaline takes care of my sore body. But even if I could, it would spell certain doom for all of us. I'm not chained, I'm pretty sure most of the sedative is out of me, they don't even have weapons drawn, yet I can't do one thing against them.

That just makes my blood boil.

But this is a learning opportunity! I'm not going to spoil it like I did the last ones. It's time to put to work, and get used to, these new ocelot ears and nose.

I lean forward slightly to get a better whiff of the demon standing in front of me. This hallway has much less distractions than in the cell, although the does air smell funky, and I figure out this demon much better than earlier.