Chapter 34: Lukas

I keep my eyes firmly on the ground for most of the walk back to the Order Hall, feeling pretty bad when I'm staring at Jesse all the time.

It's not completely reasonable, he is flying. That's just... it's really easy to stare at. But I know if I walked into public and everyone stared at my tail all the time I would begin to get a little anxious. Or a lot. Especially when Jesse broke down just a few minutes ago.

Besides one time when Jesse tried to say Petra's name, only intangible high pitched grunts come from his mouth. That really must be awful, never being able to speak at all. At least I can get my voice back, but Jesse doesn't get that luxury.

It's obviously hard for Jesse though, while his legs aren't shaking anymore, his arms still quiver incessantly. Whenever he makes eye contact with anyone, his white eyes dart off towards the forest and mad twitches engulf his body.

We, finally, get to the base of the Order Hall. For a moment, a second of suspended dread, we all just stand at the base. Until Petra swings onto the ladder and climbs up, Jesse however hovering back a bit.

Olivia and Axel don't seem to notice this, and I can't really blame them. It just feels hard to function when Jesse's here. Other than that one time when he was trying not kill me, I haven't seen him at all. Only hearing and worrying about him.

So to finally see him, their childhood friend, unable to even speak because of the wither he's been warped with must be doing something to them. No matter how much they try to hide it. (redo this)

Although I have to make sure he comes up with us, I'm not losing him again. So I open my mouth to say something, but all the words dry up when I see Jesse staring at the ladder.

He looks... afraid? At the ladder? At the Order Hall? He did seem a bit hesitant to come here, but surely he's gotten over that. I know he was scared that he may hurt us, but he hasn't for this entire time he never looked a tad bit angry.

"Jesse?" His breath catches slightly, his breathing out of rhythm for a moment as his snaps to him and then to the forest. "Are you okay?"

He nods, before looking back at the ladder again. With a sigh, he shakes his head. Only to wince slightly right afterwards. He hasn't said a word, but just watching him my gut squirms and shudders go through my heart.

With a forceful push of air, he nods. Before I have a chance to even raise my eyebrow at me, he stops hovering. His legs wobbling for only a moment to get used to his body again.

He takes a step to the ladder, only for a fierce scowl to overtake his face. My eyes widen as Jesse tenses, eyes snapping towards the forest. Now taking a step in that direction, away from the Order Hall.

"Jesse, there's nothing to be afraid of." For a moment, his eyes meet mine, before staring out back into the forest again. "We aren't afraid of you, and you don't need to be scared for us."

Jesse forcibly whips to me, his sharp teeth bared at me and eyes narrowed into a challenge. I can feel my fur bristle at that, my tail flickering wildly, but I just give a normal stare back. The wither part of him must be taking advantage of his fears to get him to leave. I'm not letting it get away with that. After so long, we're getting Jesse back.

Not questioning what I'm about to do, I step up towards him. "You aren't going to hurt me. You aren't going to hurt any of us. You wouldn't do that to your friends, and we aren't going to let you go. Because friends don't do that."

A warning whine emits from Jesse, but nevertheless he's the one who takes a step back. We both know he's stronger than me, so he must be in control... mostly. How can I get his wither to back down? While making sure he doesn't angry, that's important too. Very important.