Chapter 5: Lukas

I understand what Axel meant when he said it feels like forever being stuck in this cell.

The door out never opens, ever. Earlier, when I woke up in a rage, I tried to ram into it. I don't really want to know what happened for them to feel the need to make a obsidian door. And I'm definitely not going to try running ever again in these chains.

The lack of food is really starting to get to the others though, Olivia's fainted a few more times and so have the others. Maybe they have more, but were just sitting down when it happened. It's painful to watch them slowly waste away, feeling terrible when I moan from mine but knowing I actually have it the best right now.

And no matter how hard I think about it, which have become really hard now, I can't figure out why I was given something to keep me asleep for so much longer, to keep me stronger. If they didn't, I would be just like all of the others.

I can't even be completely scared about it anymore, why I got different treatment and their plan for me. Whenever I'm not going in and out of sleep, that's what happens just laying around all the time unable to move any limbs, and a burst of clarity comes over me, it's always spent on checking up on the others.

Axel has even duded me now Mr. Mother, although I generally don't have the capacity to be embarrassed or even care. Particularly during those clarity moments when it really hits me how bad we got it right now. I'm almost grateful that I'm not aware of it all the time anymore.

That's not even considering whatever Jesse's going through. If I got special treatment then he got elite treatment, or maybe he's been killed already because these people didn't want him. I really have no better clue after all this time what's happened to him than when I first knew he wasn't with us.

And that's how it has been... for however long we've been in here. It feels like forever, maybe it's only been a few days though. I can't really tell. It's that kind of loss of time that really has hopelessness sit in.

I sigh as I gaze up at the ceiling, as if recapping the horrible situation we're in is going to give me new insight or something. I just feel tired all the time, tired of just sitting here starving to death as my friends starve even faster. Besides, I can't do much under the sedative. Or the fact I'm always tired enough to fall asleep.

But then, a faint echo comes into the room. I perk my head up, seeing Petra do the same and Olivia waking up Axel. It's pretty amazing none of them were in a fainted sleep, which will either be really good or really bad. The sound gets louder, they are definitely footsteps. And it sounds like multiple of them.

"Wha..."

Axel is immediately shushed, as we all slowly scoot together. The person or people must be right outside the door, and I curse that we don't even have the strength to stand up to them. Our chains softly rattling as we come together.

They stop and the door slams open, the sudden light making me gasp. I squeeze my eyes shut and look away, the blinding light sending swarms of needles stinging my eyes.

"Uhh... which one was Subject 811 again?" I try to open my eyes back to look at the guy, but I just can't see with that accursed light blinding me!

"Of course you forgot. It's-"

"Hey!" Petra's snap, although painfully quiet and dull, does make me feel slightly better. "We are not subjects! We're people that demand to be let out."

"Whatever." One of the guys grabs my arm, spinning my backwards and dragging me. I can open my eyes now that I'm not facing the shearing bright light, only to clearly see the horrified faces. Their faces which have become ghostly without any food.