Chapter 44: Lukas

I screech and wail the moment my feet lift off from the ground. I go wild, thrashing in a burning desire to get my feet planted back on the ground. Fear going crazy as I push my claws into the tail, digging into it with all my might. I can't be in the air, I don't belong in the air. I have to get back down on the ground!

The tail jerks up, my skull whipping back and stomach burbling in chaotic pain, and flings me down to the ground. Shrieking, wishing the tail was still holding me now, I thrust my arms out in some desperate hope that-

Someone barrels into me, ribs definitely bruising from that impact, my fall slowing dramatically before the two of us collide and roll into the ground in a heap. I roll on my back, sighing in utter relief. The healing potion Ivor gave me mostly got the sedative out of my system and patched up the hole in my left arm, but that doesn't mean the area isn't tender by any means. If I hit the ground, that arm would not have protected any vital organs from becoming jelly.

Gulping up huge amounts of air, I turn to the person who caught me. My eyes popping out when I see Jesse's dark shape hoist itself up. It's amazing how he's walking right now, or doing anything right now. He was practically dead, twice, and I don't think Ivor's healing potions would be very effective if only half of him is alive and the other half undead. But hey, if he has the wither's ability to regenerate quickly, I won't complain.

Jesse grunt-screeches, gesturing for me-

A roar, another one of those fearsome terrifying roars that just quakes the air with its rage, forces me to curl up. Every instinct, every muscle, burning with need to get as far away as freaking possible from that thing. It's already almost killed me, it could totally succeed the next time!

Jesse wails back, only to whip back to me and grab my arm. His talons scratch my fur and skin, dragging me to my feet and away. The roars from that beast encompassing all the air, but I get the crawling sense if I don't keep moving I won't be hearing it anymore.

"Lukas!"

Jesse pushes me over to Petra, snapping back around and wailing at the beast. I scramble over to her, throwing a look over my shoulder. I almost trip at his small black form in front of the roaring beast furiously beating its wings against the air. The huge wings and deafening roars compared to Jesse's silence and puny form.

"Lukas!" My head swivels over to Petra, who thrusts a bow in my hands. "Sheathe your claws and do what you're good at."

"Ar-arrows- I-"

Petra slings a quiver off her shoulder and I drape it over mine. It's been ages since I've shot a bow and I really have to concentrate on keeping my claws sheathed. Jesse and Axel have all of that beast's attention, I have a clean shot. It's nothing I haven't done before, I can do this. Just focus. I got this.

In one fluid motion, I grab an arrow, draw, and aim. I take a deep breath, studying the movements of the beast for a moment, before letting the arrow fly. For the first time when I hear its monstrous roar, a wave of relief washes over me. For the first time in this battle, a smile tugs at me. Another arrow flys from my bow, digging itself into a wing, another enraged roar of pain. A smile just a tad wider. 

I take a deep breath, drawing another arrow. All the crazed frantic energy now as a purpose. I focus, letting loose the arrow. Again it finds its mark, Jesse and Axel both pounding on the beast as it wails and bellows. I spare a glance to my side and don't see Petra. I pull the bow back again, scanning around and finding Olivia and Ivor missing too.

Focusing back to the beast, I let loose the arrow and worries. The three of us can do this. This beast is a Tier 4 up against another Tier 4 and two Tier 3s. Sure we're all injured to some degree, but so is that thing. Just don't give into animal instincts and keep pelting that demon with arrows.