Chapter Twelve - Rest

My teary eyes opened, as I woke up slowly, and I could feel Jensens strong arms around me. I gently shook him awake and his green eyes opened slowly, looking at me.

"What's up?" His tired voice mumbled.

"Can we get something to eat?" I asked him quietly, my throat sore from crying.

"Sure," He smiled down at me in his arms, "Anything to make you smile," and he pulled me up with him, as I rubbed my teary eyes with my sleeve.

"Thank you..." I feigned a smile for him.

As we sat at the table in the private room of our special little cafè, I pulled out my notebook. I had written down the cheque amounts, when I had written them, and the day I gave them to Lizzie to run down to Natalie. Nothing made sense. As I drummed my notebook paper with my pencil, I noticed Jensens lips moving.

"I'm so sorry! I was zoned out. Did you say something?" I apologized.

"Do you want me to see if I can pay your missing rent?" He asked. "It would be no problem,"

"No, there's no point," I sighed. "I'm already extremely low on money as is, so I would have been kicked out sooner or later. I guess I had better see if the homeless shelter has room?"

"The homeless shelter?" Jensen snickered. "Seriously?" He looked at my face and stopped laughing. "Wait... Seriously??"

"See, we are on a whole other level." I sighed. "Even before Lizzie moved in with me to help with my rent, I was getting a really good deal because I'm friends with Natalie, but she still needs to make money. I can't find anything that cheap to rent, not even another apartment. And buying? That's entirely out of the picture,"

"I feel so bad." He scratched the back of his neck. "I just... I never knew it was this bad you know?"

"You didn't have a reason to," I sighed. "It's stressful for you now for no reason. I think it would be better for both of us if we weren't involved with eachother,"