Chapter V

"So what the hell happened to make you finally say yes to the poor guy?" Sofia yells over the music in the car. I couldn't believe how quickly it had gotten around to everyone that Marcus and I were now 'dating'. I woke up to seventeen missed calls and thirty-two text messages from people concerning the situation.

"He just kept asking me, and he was standing really close, and i just felt really guilty and I finally gave in. When it doesn't turn out like he's expecting, then it'll all be over" I explain.

She shakes her head and clicks her tongue in disapproval. "What?" I ask.

"Honey if that's what you think of him, you'd better think twice. That boy has waited too long for you, and I don't think unexpected events will turn him away from you" she says seriously and pops a chip into her mouth. "You should give this guy more credit. He's hung onto this because he really thought this would go somewhere. You shouldn't be so hard on his before you two even attempt anything".

I sigh and press harder on the gas pedal and grip the steering wheel tighter at my own stupidity. And bitchiness. I should stop thinking so negatively about the whole ordeal. I'm the one who put it upon myself anyways.

"You're right" I say.

"I know I am". I turn into the parking space and slap her leg.

"Just for that, I'm not buying you any Cinnabons" I say getting out of the car.

"Hey, no fair! I'm sorry, just please buy me Cinnabons!" she whines, following me into the nail salon.

"No way! Besides, we're going to get lunch later" I say.

"Who cares? Those things are amazing!"

"No. We're going to the diner and that's more than enough food to sustain you. We can get Cinnabon another time".

"Fine" she grumbles when we reach the counter.

"Hi, can I get the dip-powder manicure in that color?" I ask, pointing to a dark, neutral shade.

"And can I do acrylics in that dark plum?" she asks. We take our seats and the ladies get to working on our nails, and as they always do jabber in a language unknown to both me and Sofia.

"So tell me more about it. Did he get up in your face? Did you almost kiss?"

"Oh my God Sofia, we've been dating for less than twenty-four hours, and you think I'm already kissing the guy? What do you take me for?"

"I don't know, maybe that you would live a little?"

"A retirement village is hardly the place I would want to live a little, thank you very much". I couldn't think of a worse place for anyone to get it on.

"You've got to be prepared to it wherever, whenever now that you've got yourself a boy" she says raising her eyebrows.

I scrunch my face at that comment. "You are disgusting. There will be none of that" I say.

"Mmm, never say never" she quipes.

"I'm serious, Sof. We're not going there. I'm not ruining my life".

"Well isn't that what condoms are for?"

"Oh my God we are not talking about this right now!" I whisper-yell. "Change the conversation"

She crosses her arms and pouts. "Hmph. You're no fun".

Just when our conversation ends, Peyton, Emily, Brynn and Jayda walk into the salon. "Hi Amanda!" Peyton shouts from across the room. She walks over to me and wraps her arms around me in a hug. "It's so good to see you!"