Chapter XV

"Jesus Lexi, where's the bug spray around here?" Brynn complains, swatting at her arm.

"Yeah, I'm being eaten alive over here." The huge bonfire we're surrounding does little to ward off the hoard of mosquitoes.

"It's on the porch, just chill. I'm getting it." She pushes up from Devon's lap, a place very familiar for both of them. I'm sitting beside Marcus on one of the wooden benches surrounding the pit. His left arm is subtly around me, his hand resting at the small of my back to make the embrace less obvious.

"When are you going to ask Lexi out?" Isaiah asks, shoving a toasted marshmallow into his mouth, white goo smearing all over his lips. "You guys are always all over each other."

Devon shrugs his reply. "I don't know, probably never. I mean, we're just fucking around. She knows it, I know it, it's a mutual decision we don't date."

"Oh my God, Lexi didn't tell me she had any sort of 'friends with benefits' thing going on," Vanessa says quickly. "I mean, I always thought you guys had a thing but..."

"We aren't friends with benefits." he says. "Even if we were, that's none of your fucking business. Lexi doesn't have to tell you everything."

"Here's your fucking bug spray" Lexi comes from the house and throws three bottles of OFF onto the ground.

"Don't put it so close to the fire!" Jayda yells, yanking the cans away from the flames. "Don't you know these are flammable?"

"Fuck off Jayda, it's not like I threw them into the fire," Lexi argues back, plopping herself back across Devon's lap.

"So what's for breakfast tomorrow?" CJ asks.

"How are you already thinking about breakfast? It's not even 10:00 yet."

"Wait, they're sleeping over too? I thought it was just the girls," Mindy says.

"Nope, we're all sleeping in the basement tonight" Lexi answers, clearly annoyed with the poor girl.

"I can't stay here, then. My parents would kill me if they found out I was sleeping over with a room full of guys. She barely allowed me to come here at all when she found out boys were coming" she responds, getting more and more anxious.

"Really Mindy? You're not twelve anymore" Brooke sneers.

"Hello my parents are the most conservative Mormons you will ever meet. I can't risk them finding out about this. They grounded me for a month when they found out about my first kiss, imagine how they would react to this. Nope, I'm going home." She abruptly stands from the bench and leaves through the house.

"Jesus Christ, it's like they're still living back in the 1800s or something" Emily complains. "That girl needs to do something crazy for once in her life."

"You guys need to lay off" CJ snaps.

"Aw, look at CJ growing up" Skylar teases. "Just yesterday he was slutting it up with a girl from Norwalk." CJ glares at her with hard eyes, but can't seem to contradict her.

"I don't care what she does, all I want to do it go inside. I'm still getting eaten alive, and I can't stand another second of it." Peyton whines, slapping her thigh.

The mosquitoes being everyone's grievence, half the people go inside because of it, and then half of us stayed outside and gathered in the jacuzzi that is almost the size of a regular swimming pool.

"Hey." I jump a little at the sudden feeling of Marcus right up behind me with his arms around my waist.

"Hi," I say. I lean my head back onto his shoulder, relaxing into his arms. Usually I'd say it's too hot to cuddle against someone, but I feel like I would always make exceptions to be next to him.