Chapter XXVII

"Did you talk to him?" I ask Sofia. After the way we had left off yesterday I wanted to make sure we were okay.

She sighs into the phone and I don't know what to think of the sound.

"Yeah, I did. I spoke to Molly, too. You were right, Manda. It was stupid of me to think he was doing anything. Molly was so upset when I basically accused her of both trying to steal Jon and basically cheating on her own boyfrend," she confesses and I relax in my seat.

"That's good," I reply carefully, not quite sure what to say next. I can't exactly read her emotion through the phone.

"I'm so relieved. Everything is perfect now. He even made plans for our date tonight. I didn't even have to remind him or drop hints about our anniversary," she says dreamily. "It's a surprise, too. He's never surprised me before. I really do think it's different this time," I hear her sigh again, but this time for a completely different reason.

"Anyway, I wanted to tell you everyone's going over Brooke's house after homecoming," she tells me and I nod, forgetting for a second she's not in front of me.

"Alright," I reply. Brooke's house is a great choice. Even though I'm not too fond of the girl herself, her house is famous for certain things, "When do you want me to come over?"

"Just come over right after practice as soon as you can. You can shower here if you'd want, but that's up to you," she tells me.

"Who else is coming?" I open my closet looking for an outfit and sift through the hangers.

"Georiga, Lauren and Mindy," she replies and I hold back my sigh of relief. Sometimes Sofia tends to give into inviting all the girls over, even ones I know she doesn't like.

"Did you see C.J asked Mindy?" she asks with excitement.

"Yeah, I'm surprised he stopped being such a little bitch and finally made a move," I reply. Like Marcus with me, we all knew C.J had a thing for Mindy. He just had a strange strategy of getting her attention.

"I'm more surprised she said yes. Or her parents let her say yes," Sofia points out. Considering her parent's strict rules about boys and who she hangs around, it's surprising to me as well. Her parents almost make it their business what other kids do, and they know everything that goes on. I do mean everything, almost to the point of it being scary. And with the reputation C.J has, I can only wonder what her parents were thinking.

"He just better not be fucking with her," I say bitterly. Mindy is the sweetest girl ever, and even if nothing happens between them, he best respect her.

I pull out a University of Florida tshirt and dark leggings from the closet and lay the outfit down on my bed behind me.

"I wouldn't worry about her, Manda," she chides and I roll my eyes.

"Whatever. I'll call you later, I'm supposed to be at Marcus's in fifteen minutes," I explain.

"Kay, love you," she pauses before talking again, "Have fun with Marcus," she teases.

"Love you too," I reply with a laugh before hanging up.

I stare at Charlie and sigh. The cute little puppy sighs deeply with me and loks up at me with his big chocolate brown eyes like the little cutie that he is.

"I'm sure you would love Lucy," I pet his head, scratching behind his floppy ears. He just sticks his tongue out at me and smiles his doggy smile.

I smile back at him and he licks my face, getting his wet slobber all over my cheeks. I turn my head away and wipe my face clean and stand to change.