Chapter VI

"I'm so glad you went with what I picked out. You look so hot! Marcus will definitely appreciate what I had you wear" she brags from the drivers seat. I sigh and once again try to adjust my top to the center of my chest.

"Oh yeah, and when the nip slips I'll be blaming you" I tell her, tightening the knot to close the shirt more.

"You're not going to have a nip slip!" she protests. "Although, if you do, make sure Marcus sees" she adds and I slap her as she laughs hystarically.

"You are disgusting! Sometimes I wish I could put a filter on your mouth, or at least wash your mouth out with soap" I scold. I swear I feel like her mother at times.

"You know I'm joking! The top will be fine, just stop fidgeting with it and it won't come undone. Just chill".

She parks the car on the side of the road and looks at me with concern. "Are you alright?" she asks.

I turn to face her and exhale loudly. "What do I do? Are there rules to boyfriends and girlfriends at parties? Should I stay near him the whole time? Or do I wait for him to come up to me? I don't know how to act around him or our friends now". I'm in full panic mode right now. All the suppressed questions in my head are suddenly making their way to the surface.

"Manda, just relax. There isn't a right or a wrong way to go about the night, but you should stay close to him tonight. If you don't, Marcus won't be the only person confused" she explains, and I suppose she makes as much sense as she can.

I never knew I would be the kind to freak out over little things like this. Then again, I never ran these kinds of scenarios through my head before, never felt the need to obviously. Clearly fantasizing would have been beneficial at the moment.

"Alright. Should I go up to him right away though? Or should I wait for him to notice me?"

"You should text him right now and tell him you're here. That way he'll be looking for you to enter" she directs.

Amanda: I'm here

God my fingers are shaking when I'm typing and I feel more than anxious waiting for his reply. I don't like this feeling. Not knowing what to do.

I hear a ping come from my phone and I immediately open the message.

"He answered" I tell Sofia.

"Well what did he say?"

Marcus: I'll be waiting by the door.

"He said he'll be waiting by the door" I read the text to her.

"Well let's not keep the poor boy waiting. I can't wait to see his face when he sees you in your outfit!"

I store my phone in my back pocket and wipe my hands down my pants and give my top one last adjustment.

Sofia opens the door for us and true to his word Marcus is standing against the wall across the doorway.

When I make eye contact with him his face lights up with that smile of his. Perfect pearly whites accompanied by a dimple on his right cheek. I don't know how boys do it, but he still looks put together in a simple blue tee shirt and white athletic shorts.

"Hi, you look great" he compliments and I hope my face doesn't show the heat that I feel creeping all over my body. I've received compliment before, quite and number to be honest, but maybe it's something to do with him being my boyfriend that makes me blush.

"Thanks, so do you" I reply, lamely. I've never been good with receiving or responding to compliments.

"Can I get you a drink?" he asks, leading us into the crowded kitchen.