Chapter XXXVIII

"Guys I need to find a major, as soon as possible," Brynn says as she scooches into the last available spot in the booth. Seriously, if one more person shows up they're going to have to sit on the floor.

"Why? You can just go in undecided," Mindy replies, taking a sip of her apple juice.

"No I can't. My parents told me that if I don't have a course of action in mind when I go in they're not going to help pay for college! So help me here people!"

"Well what do you like?" I ask.

"To party," Sofia mutters under her breath towards me. I lightly slap her knee and she pouts at me and crosses her arms slouching back in the booth.

"I don't know, that's why I'm having this issue!" she cries and slams her head on the table. She quickly flinches up and runs her hand over her forehead.

"Owww!" The whole table laughs at her expense, but it's not like she thought she could smack her head on a hard table without bruising her face.

"You do well in history, go into something there," Emily offers. The rest of the table nods in agreement.

"But I hate history. It's the most boring class every year. I don't want to have to sleep every lecture," she whines.

"Well which class do you like the most?" I try again. If she doesn't answer this question, I'm walking right out of the resturaunt. Someone else can pick up the tab for my latte.

"I really like French, but literally what can I do with that?" She puts her head back on the table, but this time rests her forehead on her arms.

"Teacher, translator?" Georgia throws out ideas.

"But they literally make no money! How am I supposed to live like that?" she wails into her arms.

"Marry rich." Brooke's dry humor doesn't sit well with with Brynn.

"Shut up," she snaps, glaring at her with intense eyes. "My mom's not a gold digger."

"Mhmm," Sofia hums quietly beside me. She knows it, and everyone realizes that a large reason Mr. and Mrs. White came to be was because of the large sum of money he had stashed in the bank.

Even if you look at her parents you can tell the two are out of each other's leagues in different ways. Mrs. White is beautiful, young, and a true symbol of a trophy wife. Mr. White is extremely intelligent, however is not only a tad soft and balding, but is also a good eight years older than Mrs. White. Even the way they met was sketchy, if you catch my drift.

Seems like Brooke was just suggesting the easy way to the top her mother took almost eighteen years ago. But apparently Brynn isn't too fond of the comments people make about her mom.

"Why do you care about how much money you're making? Doesn't your dad have a trust fund set up for you?" Jayda asks with her mouth full of waffle.

"Yeah, but my dad said if I don't come up with a plan he'll revoke my ownership until I figure myself out!"

I stop listening to Her now because I can't handle another second of this drama. That and her talking about college is making me even more stressed out. Now that I've been waitlisted by the University of Michigan, I don't know what to expect from the other schools. Obviously they're not as hard to get into, but the partial rejection is worrying me.

I'm even more stressed now that the Florida State acceptance letter is supposed to be in the mailbox tomorrow night, and the jitters I'm feeling now are on a whole other level from butterflies in the stomach.

"Manda?" Mindy's voice calls me to attention. I look over to her and lift my head as a signal I'm listening to her.

"Do you think you could drive me home? My car is getting fixed and C.J can't pick me up," she says.