Chapter XXXVII

"There's actually no point in studying anymore. I mean, colleges don't look at midterms, right?" Sofia asks for the fourth time in the last hour.

"No one's making you stay here," I say, scrolling through pictures and practicing the movements for sign language.

This morning Mindy, C.J, Sofia, Marcus and I had all decided to go to the town library to study for midterms together after school. So far everyone's cracked open a book, laptop or at least taken out some flashcards, but all Sofia has done is taken out her phone and complain about having to study for classes.

"But I need to study," she says, completely contradicting what she said maybe thirty seconds before.

"Then bitch, study," C.J says. He turns away from her to roll his eyes at Mindy, who softly elbows him to knock it off in front of her.

"Amanda can you help me?" Marcus asks. I take a break from sign language to look at the practice problems for calculus.

"I still don't understand derivatives. I just, how, what is happening? I tried to do this problems and I am so off," he rambles as I take a look at his work compared to the teacher's.

"You didn't do the derivative wrong, you just subtracted instead of added there." I point to the spot in the middle of the problem.

"I still don't know how I got the right answer, though," he puts his head in his hands.

"What, you just guessed the right answers?" He can't not know what he's doing and still be doing it, right?

"Kinda? I'm doing the steps I guess, but I don't get it at all," he says and I am so close to walking out of the library and back to my house. I could never be a teacher, never in a million years for a million dollars.

"Dude if you don't understand this then you're not only fucked for this test, you're fucked for the entire year," C.J chuckles, and this time Mindy elbows him harder. He winces and rubs his arm, but when she gives him a look he drops the face and kisses her head.

Honestly I never thought they'd be good together, but not only are they hella cute, C.J is also really good for Mindy and visa versa.

"You think I don't know that? I never thought anything would be harder than pre-calculus, but then calculus happened. I thought you were supposed to be good with at least one of them, but I guess not me!" I drops his head to the table and groans loudly.

"Shh, we're in a library," I scold, but it only makes him groan again, but at least this time he muffles his sounds with his sweatshirt.

"Let him drown in his misery, it'll be over soon," Sofia says finally opening her textbook.

"I won't be okay until high school has ended," he announces to the table. He lifts his head up and fixes his hair to the best of his ability without a mirror.

"Do you think if I fail the class but get a good score on the AP test that I'll be alright?" Marcus asks.

"I never really thought of that," Sofia says, tilting her head, thinking about it hard.

"Don't do that, and I don't think you'll be fine if you fail calculus. Besides, if you're failing a class they hold you from sports," I remind him. I remember when my dad told me at one point that fact was the only thing that kept him motivated to do schoolwork.

"It's alright, I don't really like baseball that much anyway," he says, but I glare at him, challenging him to continue with the joke, or what better be a joke.

"I'm kidding, yikes, hold your horses there," he holds his hands up in surrender.

"That's what I thought," I say, going back to my own work. I shouldn't have agreed to a group study session. Whenever I do anything with anyone, work is the last thing that will ever get done.