Chapter XII

I tap my nails on the counter, waiting for Lexi to show up to my house. She's already ten minutes late and I'm pissed off. I can't just drop everything for this girl- I have other shit to do other than organizing this damn team bonding activity.

I flinch when I hear Charlie barking and his claws scratching against the wood. I look out the kitchen window and notice Lexi's red convertable pull into our driveway, her music so loud I can hear it through the stone walls of our house.

I walk to the door to let her in and an awkward silence settles over the two of us. I've known Lexi for a long time, we used to be really good friends. But then middle school happened, and some other shit that can't be erased. It doesn't even matter now, but being alone with her reminds me of my divided feelings towards her.

"So how's Marcus?" she asks with a smirk. I don't answer, but just glare in her direction. One, the whole Marcus thing is a huge sore spot between us, and two, it's none of her damn business what goes on between Marcus and I. No matter what I say she's going to make a mockery out of it, so I save my breath.

"You're here to think of team bonding activities, not hound me about Marcus" I snap as I lead her to the living room.

"That bad, huh?" she replies. I don't even have to look to know what facial expression is on that snotty face of hers.

"Whatever. If you're going to be like this, at least be a little useful and give me some ideas" I say. I really am not in the mood for this right now, and Marcus is supposed to be coming over for dinner with my family and I don't want her here.

"Why don't we do a sleepover? That's the easiest bonding thing we can do" she says, but I'm not convinced.

"How does a sleepover help us bond?" I ask.

"I don't know! You're taking this way too seriously. It's hard for sixteen girls to all bond with each other." She proceeds type on her phone, ignoring me and her responsibilities.

"And you're not taking this seriously enough. I don't care if you don't care, but at least pretend you care" I say.

"Okay, so if my idea isn't enough, what did you have in mind?" she snaps.

"I was thinking about having a bake sale. Make some extra money for the team, and the whole team would get together to make everything" I reply. "Hopefully everyone would meet at Sofia's house"-

"Why Sofia's?" Lexi interrupts while still on her phone typing away.

I rolly my eyes, but answer anyway, "Because Sofia's house has two kitchens; one in the basement and one on the main floor."

"Why?"

"She just does. Anyway we'll meet at Sofia's house to bake the cookies, and then sell them at the game the next day."

"I don't want to do that," she says. "A sleepover is easy."

"How about we-"

"I don't care! Let's just do a sleepover on Friday night and leave it at that," she snaps and stands up. "I'm going. I'll text the girls about it." She starts walking through the rooms away from me and I start fuming.

"Lexi, come back here!" I go up after her.

"No Amanda! I couldn't give a shit about anything! Maybe you can make everyone else do what you want, but not me" she says and storms off, slamming the door behind her.

"Oh my God" I say to myself. "That girl is a nightmare."

************

I watch my mom run frantically around the kitchen, from the stove to the oven to the refrigerator, to the dining room and back again. I'm getting winded just looking at the woman.

"Mom, you really don't need to do all of this. I'm sure he'll like whatever you put out" I tell her, trying to slow her down.

"Oh honey, don't worry about me. I just want to make sure he feels at home" she says continuing into the dining room again with two plates in hand.

"He'd probably feel more at home if there wasn't enough food for two countries on the table" I say.

"Amanda just say, "thank you mother, you're the best mother in the whole world", and move on. I've already made the damn food, you just spent an hour of your time helping me. What's done is done. Now get ready before he comes. You still haven't changed out of your sweats."

"Do I have to?"I ask. "It's not like he hasn't seen me in sweats before."

"Yes you have to. I won't have his first impressions of this family being a bunch of slobs."

"He knows we're not" I argue back, but my mom gives me the "you better do what I tell you" look that makes me snap my mouth shut.

"Tell Emma and Holden to come down now" she calls after me.

I fling Holden's door open and find him, not surprisingly, playing his video game.

"Amanda, what the hell?" he yells at me.

"Mom wants you downstairs now" I answer, slamming the door again.

Emma's door is already open so I poke my head inside her room. "Mom wants you downstairs now" I tell her and she shuts her laptop, pushing it off her lap.

"Kay, I'll be down in a second." she replies.

I walk down to my room, open the door and suddenly I'm in a full blown panic. Suddenly I don't know what to wear, whether I should call Marcus up and tell him it's not the right time to come over, and worrying if he'll like my family and they'll like him.

I kneel on the side of my bed and put my head in my hands on the mattress, willing the tears back into my eyes.

Deep breaths. In through the nose, out through the mouth. In... and out. In... and out.

Suddenly the front doorbell catches my attention. I hear Charlie barking, and I realize I still haven't changed, my eyes are probably red, and I probably smell like all the food I've been cooking.

"Amanda, Marcus is here!" my mom calls up. I shoot up to my feet, running to my closet whipping out a presentable outfit to wear.

"I'll be down in a minute!" I shout back, trying to put both my shirt and pants on at the same time. I look in the mirror and realize I also have to brush out my matted head, wash my face and put more mascara on.

"Amanda dinner is ready!" she yells again as I'm multitasking walking to my door.

"Coming!" I take one last look in the mirror and bound down the stairs, surprised to see Marcus waiting at the end of the stairwell for me.

"Hi" he says, while I look him up and down. He looks great, as usual. I don't think I've ever seen him slumping.

"Hey. Sorry you had to wait," I say.

"No worries, you're here now" he tell me, holding out his hand to me. I look at it for second before taking it, letting him lead me to the dining room.

Right before the doorway I let go of his hand. He looks back at me, but doesn't say anything or try to take my hand back, for which I'm grateful he understands.

We walk in together, and it's awkward as shit. Everyone's head turned towards us, not even bothering to hide their interest.

I really could care less if Marcus was ready to interact with my parents, because I really don't think I'm prepared for them to interact with him.