#2 -you can pretend you don't care-

'Mills?' Finn asked softly.

She sat upright on the bed.

Oh God, she hasn't realized until now how much she had missed him.

There was a few seconds of silence. Then she realized she had to say something.

'Finnie.' she said breathily, almost with relief. It felt very good to hear his voice.

Finn chuckled softly at the sound of his name.

'Umm... I saw a fragment of your interview.' he said.

Oh God, of course he did.

'I've been tagged like a thousand times under these posts, my phone almost died.' he continued. Just by the sound of his voice, she could swear that he was smiling.

She groaned inwardly, covering her face with her hand.

'Yeah, umm... Sorry about that, really-' she started. Her face was so red she was grateful he can't see her right now.

'No! No... Don't be sorry.' he said quickly, cutting her off. 'Umm... Are you still in Los Angeles?' he asked hesitantly after a pause.

'What? How do you know that I'm in LA?' she asked, her brows furrowed in confusion.

'Katherine's studio is there.' he said, stating the obvious. 'I was her guest two years ago.'

'Oh. Right.' she said, biting her lip.

'So? Are you in LA?'

'Yeah.' she said, wondering why this is so important to him.

A couple of seconds have passed.

'Umm... I'm here, too.' he said.

'Seriously? What are you doing in LA?' she asked, her eyes widened in disbelief.

'I had a photoshoot today. For Variety magazine.' he explained.

'Really?' she asked, surprised. Finn hated photoshoots.

'Yeah.' he answered simply.

There was a silence on both lines. She knew they were thinking of the same thing. They both realized that they are in the same town, maybe a mile apart from each other.

He was the first to break the silence.

'I know it's late. But...' he stopped suddenly.

She heard him taking a deep breath.

'I... Can I see you?' he asked hesitantly.

His question caught her off guard, her heart pounding heavily in her chest. She let out a shaky breath.

'Yes.' she responded quietly.

'Where are you? I could-' he started.

'I...' she cut him off. 'I'll text you the address of the hotel I'm staying in.'

'Oh. Okay. Umm... I'll text you when I get there. We can go for a walk or something, what do you think?'

'Yeah.' she nodded, even though he couldn't see her.

'Okay.' he said. 'Umm... Bye, Mills.'

'Bye, Finnie.' she said with a smile, waiting for him to end the call.

She texted him the address of the hotel. She was about to close the app, but then she decided on scrolling a little higher, going back to their messages from 2024, when they had been seeing each other more often. When they had actually talked about other things than their birthday wishes or nominations.