#1 I wanna be alone-

The sound of crunching dry leaves under his shoes broke the silence.

'Eleven!' Mike exclaimed, running up to her, circling around trees.

'Mike?' El asked, surprised, turning around to face him. 'What... What are you doing here?'

'I was looking for you.' he said, breathing heavily.

'How did you know that-'

'I was at your house to see you. And... Hopper thought that you are with me.' he said. 'You lied to him.'

She averted her eyes from him.

'And you lied to me, El.' he continued, his voice almost a whisper. 'You told me you're not gonna do this. You promised.' he added, unable to hide the hurt in his voice.

They never broke their promises because it was something you can't break.

They never lied to each other because friends don't lie.

And she broke it in one second. She broke it, deciding to run away.

'You don't understand, Mike.' she said, trying not to cry, trying to convince him. 'I have to do this.'

'No! I won't let you.'

'He hurt mama. He hurt me.' she said, pressing her lips together. 'He deserves to die.'

'El, please.' he said, pleadingly. 'What if something go wrong? He has soldiers who can just shoot you if he ask them to, he-'

'I can kill them.' she said with seriousness in her voice.

'You will be drained! You'll lose your powers! He will take you away!'

'I'm stronger now. I can do it.'

'No, El, you won't go there.' he shook his head and took one step closer to her, but she took a step back with a determined look on her face.

'You can't make me stay.'

'You promised I won't lose you.' he said, his voice broken. Tears started to well up in his eyes.

'You don't understand.' she repeated, shaking her head.

And that was true. He will never be able to understand how it feels to wake up on the cold tile floor with nothing but darkness all around.

He will never understand how it feels to have your long hair buzzed near to the scalp, how it feels to wear itchy, ugly hospital gowns.

He will never know how it feels to never see the sun or the snow, to never hear birds chirping, to never eat an ice cream before.

He will never be able to understand how it feels to be lied to her face for her whole life, how it feels to be treated like an animal or an experiment or a prisoner, to be labeled as a number, treated like she was nothing.

He will never understand how it feels to replay in her head how her mom is being strapped to a table. He is never going to see how his mother's brain is fried, leaving her in a dream circle where there is nothing left but rainbows, sunflowers and numbers.

He will never know how it feels to never be hugged or comforted.

He will never know how it feels to get to know the meaning of promise, friendship and love at the age of twelve.

Mike will never know how it feels.

She should've known how it feels to be loved sooner. But she couldn't. And she will never get this back.

Papa should pay for what he did to her. He took her life away. He took everything from her.

Now she wanted to take everything from him.

She turned away from Mike without a word, ready to go down the path to the lab, but he walked up to her quickly, catching her hands and wrapping his arms around her waist to stop her.

'Mike, let go of me!' she yelled, trying to release herself from his arms, but he was stronger, holding her in a tight grip. 

'No!'

'I have to do this! I have to stop him!' she exclaimed with tears slowly rolling down her cheeks.  

She knew that she could just pry his arms off of her with her mind, but she didn't want to use her powers against him. She didn't want to fight. She just wanted to end this. She wanted to kill Papa.

She knew she could do this. She had to do this.

'Let me go, Mike!'

She was screaming so loud that birds flew from the trees in panic above their heads.

'No, El, do you hear me?! You're not going there!' he exclaimed.

'He doesn't deserve to live!' she screamed. 'He wants to hurt everyone that I love! I have to stop him!'

'I know, El! I know what he did!' he exclaimed, pulling her closer.

Suddenly, she lost balance and they both stumbled, falling onto the ground. He pulled her onto his lap, holding her so tight like he would never want to let her go.

She sobbed, not fighting anymore as she nuzzled her face into his chest, wetting his T-shirt with tears, breathing in his familiar scent.

The sound of his heartbeat echoed in her ears.

She was crying for everything she's been through, for years of abusing, for being treated like an animal. She was crying because her childhood was taken away.

'He deserves to die for what he did to your mom or to other kids... For what he did to you...' he continued, his voice trembled at last words.  

She released a shaky breath, squeezing her eyes tighter, her hands desperately gripping his T-shirt.

'...but not like this, El.' he said quietly, kissing her forehead. 'Not like this.'

(1/3)

...

A/N

I know the title says 'crossing the line | fillie oneshots' but we all need some Mileven in our lives, right? I've never done a Mileven scene that long, I'm a little scared of your reaction to second part, I hope you'll like this

Please, tell me what you think? :)

"crossing the line" is so close to 24k reads and I don't know what to say, I wrote first story in July and it would have never crossed my mind that there will be so many people who want to read my book, you are the best 💕 thank you so much!

Love,

a.