Chapter 12

A week passed pretty quickly and I was no closer to answers. However, I had begun to tolerate Zach and my friends had started to like the guy too. He even sat with us at lunch.

He still lived in my house and had private chats and phone calls with my father that I could never tune into. Somehow, Zach knew whenever I was listening and he always stopped the conversation until I gave up.

"Hey!" I exclaimed, throwing my plate of meat down onto the table.

"Why are you in such a good mood?" Zach arched a brow from opposite me, watching me with a curious look.

"Its the full moon tonight," Ryder answered for me, resulting in Zach's other eyebrow lifting a little.

"You know, the time we get to turn and run through the woods with the pack, and you feel faster and stronger and better all day?" I asked mockingly but he just stared at me.

"If you say so," he muttered, taking a forkful of his food.

"So, are you guys going to Masons party tomorrow night?" Alexia asked from beside me, excitement and awe clear in her voice.

"Why would we go?" Blake laughed, furrowing his brows at her.

"Oh come on! I have already bought a dress and it would be fun! We could do something human for once," she groaned, rolling her eyes at us.

"Why would we want to be human?" Ryder scoffed.

"Lexi, we weren't even invited," I told her, shrugging my shoulder before shovelling a forkful of food into my mouth.

"El, its open invitation, everyone can go," she stated matter of factly and I let out a huff. She wasn't going to let this go. "Pleeeeeeeeease," she begged, sticking her bottom lip out and sending us puppy dog eyes.

We all looked to each other, trying to read everyones reactions hesitantly. "Caroline? We could get you a kick ass dress to make Mason jealous," she told her, smirking victoriously when Caroline tilted her head in consideration.

She let out surrendering sigh before muttering a "yeah fine" and Lexi cheered, grinning widely from ear to ear.

"Guys?" She asked in a pleading tone.

"They're going," Caroline stated, glaring at us all in turn. "Right?" She asked, directing her gaze at Ryder and Jordan.

"Yeah," Jordan agreed.

Ryder shrugged nonchalantly. "Fine, sure whatever."

Soon, Blake and I had everyones pleas and threats and were soon agreeing too. Lexis gaze then fixated on Zach and I snorted.

"Um... no I am good thanks," he grunted when he caught sight of her.

"Please?" She asked.

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"Plea-."

Lexi was cut off by Caroline. "You're going. End of story."

He placed his fork back onto the table and stared at Alexia and Caroline. He raised his eyebrows as he leaned back on his chair. "Not going to happen," he stated.

One sharp, cold glare from Caroline had him groaning. "Fine." He finally gave in with an eye roll and with that Alexia was already online shopping for dresses for me, Caroline and Jordan.

****

I breathed a sigh of relief as I stared out the window at the village lights. I rested my forehead against the cool glass and let out a small breath, steaming the window. In the distance I could see the moon rising and I knew in an hour it would be at its peak. The moonlight caused the tree tops to appear as silhouettes and the village's gleaming lights cast shadows onto the houses.