Chapter 13

The blazing sunlight streamed into my room, forcing me to peel my eyes open. Instantly, I lifted my head and was met with the crystal blue sky above me, reminding me I was not at home. The bright, illuminous green grass of the clearing surrounded me and my face was buried in my arms as I lay on my stomach.

To my left was Zach, back in human form. I noticed how much more peaceful he was when he was asleep; the permanent 'I know something you don't' look had dissolved from his face. However, his mouth was still slightly upturned into a smirk and I imagined that was his natural state. I watched his chest rise up and down in a steady rhythm and found myself matching my own breaths to his.

I slowly hauled my head up to look around the clearing and noticed my father stood at the entrance. Members of the pack were gradually getting up and heading to their homes to clean up before they started their days. Soon, the crowds in the clearing had thinned until only a few stragglers remained.

I immediately dipped my head back down when my father turned to look in my direction. I screwed my eyes shut and bit my lip, knowing we were going to get a lecture that I was far too sleepy to listen to. The sound of his footsteps approaching made me squeeze my eyes tighter. I prayed he thought I was asleep.

"Nice try. Get up!" His voice growled from right above me and I cringed. Agonisingly slowly, I lifted my head to see him towering over me. He folded his arms over his chest and scowled down at me while I dragged myself up off the floor.

Behind me I heard someone stirring and turned to see Ryder sluggishly sitting up. He scrambled around to see me and my dad and panic struck his eyes immediately. "Oh no," he muttered, rubbing his face with his hands.

"All of you get up," my dad ordered as more of my friends began to stir slightly.

"Whats going on?" Jordan asked as she rubbed at her eyes, she finally peeled them open to see my dad towering over her and shot me a look. I giggled slightly but stopped instantly when my dad grumbled.

"Alpha Reed." I heard Alexia gasp in surprise.

"Good morning," he replied dryly, still scowling at us.

"Dad, there is an explanation," I lied, stumbling backwards a little.

"And I can't wait to hear it," he responded, raising his eyebrows expectantly. Beside me, Ryder managed to find his feet and stood with me and quickly the rest of my friends joined us. Finally Zach woke and cursed under his breath before standing and joining the rest of us. "You were all late last night. By a long time. Why?" My father demanded.

"We were kidnapped?" Ryder said, raising his eyebrows. My dad glared at him, letting out a deep growl.

"We didn't realise the time," I told him, lying through my teeth but it was pointless. My father always knew when I was lying.

"Really? You didn't realise that the big light in the sky had appeared?" His eyes narrowed, boring into me and I swallowed the lump in my throat.

I hung my head and waited for someone else to speak. I was grateful to hear Jordans quiet voice squeak out "we're sorry." I held my breath while we waited for his response.

His face didn't change from the expression of pure anger as he spoke. "Next full moon, if any of you are back even a second after sunrise, you will be spending the rest of your transformations running wild in the basement. Am I clear?"

"Yes."
"Yes dad."
"Yes Alpha."

Our replies followed before he nodded his head. "I don't expect any of you to disobey the rules again. You can go."