Chapter 17

I took a small step back, wobbling on my feet. Zach steadied me and leant down to breathe into my ear. "Ella," he hissed.

I shushed him, keeping my eyes solely on Alexia's wolf. Her large, snarling wolf prowled towards me and then, out of the blue, she pounced. Before I could blink, her claws sunk into my clothes, scraping against my skin and dragging me to the floor. Behind me, Zach and Blake snarled and growled but Alexia ignored them and scowled down at me.

"Lexi," I grumbled beneath her weight. Her razor sharp claws sunk into the skin of my neck until I was gasping for breath. Her eyes remained locked on mine, blazing an orange hell fire. Deep, rugged snarls escaped her curled lips, echoing through the room and sending chills down my spine. Slowly, the world around me blurred into a unfocused mess of colours. The oxygen stopped flowing around my body until my limbs fell limp.

A flash of dark brown swept across my vision and the heavy weight of Lexis wolf lifted. I gasped and coughed on the floor, choking on the rush of air that slammed into my throat. Two arms cradled me, lifting my from the floor and holding me steady. "El? Are you ok?" Blake asked me, his voice sounding distant.

In front of me, Alexia's wolf battled with Zach's larger, bulkier one. Teeth and claws clashed violently until a soft whimper was released and the room fell into silence. Zach stepped backwards, morphing back into his human form and towering over Lexis cowering figure. Her fire blazing eyes dimmed to a faded sunset, the storm of anger calming.

Zach whirled around. "Are you ok?" He asked through gritted teeth. I nodded, unable to speak a word. He nodded in response.

Alexia's wolf retreated further into the corner and hunched over, turning back into her partially human form. Her hands were tightly wrapped around her legs while she rocked backwards and forwards. She lifted her tear stained face to look at me. "Ella, I'm sorry," she cried, "I'm so so sorry."

"Hey, its ok," I told her, rushing over and pulling her against me. "I'm ok," I lied as the searing pain shot through my neck and the blood poured down my pyjama top.

"Where do we get the berries, Blake?" I demanded, sternly, my tone dripping with desperation.

He hesitated and then shot me an apologetic look. I nodded in understanding to his silence and with a sigh, pulled my phone from my pocket. I saw a text from Ryder and realised school had started about half an hour ago but I ignored it and dialled my dad. "Ella, I thought you weren't allowed phones in school?" My dads voice asked.

"I am not at school, dad." I told him, wincing as I waited for his response.

"Whats wrong honey?" He asked and I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Alexia accidentally ate wolfsbane. We need some nightshade berries." I told him.

"Where are you?"

"In the basement. She can't control her wolf and keeps turning." I decided to leave out the part where she clawed my neck for now.

"Ok, I will be there soon. Lock her in the basement and wait upstairs," he instructed and I nodded, before realising he couldn't see me.

"Ok, bye." I switched my phone off and turned to Alexia. "Will you be ok down here on your own? Do you want me to stay?" I asked, worried that her wolf would become more aggressive when left alone.

"Ella, I just ripped your throat. Go," she insisted and I nodded.

I followed Zach and Blake out the room and sealed Alexia in the basement. "I have to go," Blake said after a few minutes and I raised an eyebrow. "My dad will rip my head clean off if I miss a day of school." He laughed and I nodded. "Will you be ok?"