Chapter 38

I stood, completely frozen, my feet merged with the ground. The oxygen stopped flowing and my heart stopped beating. I couldn't take a breath, my mouth was open but inhalation was suddenly impossible.

"Ella?" I heard a deep, warm, husky voice call and I let a smile spread across my face. I liked the voice, it sent a warmth through my cold body. My heart started to thump again and the air began to flow. "Ella?"

"Do you think he hates me?" I mumbled. The question bounced around in my mind and all I could think of was the look of disappointment that contorted my dads face before he walked away from me.

"No, he could never hate you, he is your dad," the same voice replied. My vision began to focus and in front of me I saw him. Zach. He hands were on my shoulders and his eyes were gazing into mine. He held a serious expression while his eyes filled with worry.

I nodded my head in response. He was right. My dad loved me, even if I just fought him and betrayed him. I saw the worry in Zach's eyes subside and I began to relax. I took another deep breath and exhaled.

I stared into Zach eyes until I could no longer see them, they were disappearing from view until all I could see was white. "Uh oh," I muttered as my hands fumbled around blindly. They grasped onto something soft, something that felt good between my fingers and I clung to it. My legs wavered beneath me as the white that I could see brightened. I clutched the soft thing desperately as I began to teeter sideways.

Suddenly I felt something snake around my waist, grasping onto me. I let out screams and shouts as it pulled me away from the soft thing I was holding. "No," I cried. Around me voices of all different pitches spoke. Some were loud booms and others were quiet squeaks but I could hear them all so clearly. Instantly my body collided with something hard. The thing holding me let go and I reached my hands out to feel lumps and powder, with bits of debris and crunchy pieces everywhere. It smelt damp and dirty but fresh at the same time. And then the white turned to black.

I peeled my eyes open a crack and peeked out. As my view came into focus I saw leaves and twigs surrounding me. The deep brown, muddy ground was beneath me with green leaves littered about. My hand was outstretched in front of me and I pressed it against the floor, pushing myself up. I quickly placed my other palm on the floor and went to push myself up completely when something on my shoulder forced me back to the ground.

"Don't get up." I heard a familiar voice from next to me. I turned to see him watching over me, the others all scattered behind him.

"What the hell happened?" I grumbled, causing Zach to laugh. His hand found mine and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"You passed out, you lost a lot of blood," he explained, I could see the worry on his face as he spoke. "What do you remember?" He smiled at me genuinely and I missed that while I was out.

"I remember looking at you, and then everything went white, and then I was holding something soft," I started to say and paused when I saw him grinning.

"That was my shirt." He laughed and I nodded.

"Oh. Well anyway I remember being pulled away from it and feeling like I was going to fall. And then I hit the ground. That's it," I said. I pulled myself into a sitting position and leaned back against the nearest tree to steady myself.

My side was already healing from the bite but my head felt quite light and all my energy had disappeared. I felt weak.

I pushed off the ground so I was standing and stared at all the faces staring back at me. The memory of everything that happened before I passed out kicked in and my throat ran dry.

"Are you sure you are ok?" Jordan asked, coming towards me.

"I'm fine," I reassured her and she threw her arms around my neck.