Chapter 47

"Are you ok honey?" My dad asked me for the third time the next morning. Zach filled him in on the events of the week and now he wouldn't leave me alone.

"I'm fine dad, I have to go, I have school," I told him, rolling my eyes at him.

"Ok, well stay safe," he told me, placing a kiss on the top of my head and holding me close to him.

"Dad, it's school. I will be ok," I promised before grabbing my handbag and following Zach out the door.

We walked all through the village and woods in silence until we finally neared the edge of Ridgeview and I felt a hand grasp my wrist. I spun to see Zach looking at me expectantly.

"What?" I asked, furrowing my brows at him.

"You're avoiding me," he said, anger evident in his voice.

"I'm not avoiding you," I told him honestly.

"Ella, don't lie to me," he growled, causing me to roll my eyes.

"What do you want me to say Zach?" I asked, pulling my wrist from his grip and folding my arms across my chest.

"I don't know, something." He sighed.

"Something," I grumbled before turning to walk away. I didn't get far before I felt his arms grasp my waist and yank me backwards. He leant down so his lips were right by my ear and his breath was warm against my skin.

"Don't be smart with me sweetheart," he growled and I felt the shiver run down my spine. I spun in his arms so our faces were pressed together.

"Or what?" I dared, smirking as he pulled me forward and pressed his lips against mine.

"Or I will have to punish you." He whispered seductively, a smirk forming on his lips.

I giggled, watching his face crack into a smile as he laughed with me. "Well, you can try but my dad will probably come home and interrupt it." He smirked slightly and sighed, "Sorry about that," I mumbled and he took my hands in his.

"Not your fault." He stroked the backs of my hands with his thumbs softly as he spoke and I smiled. I raised my eyes to look at him, waiting for him to say something else. "Come here," he said, pulling me into his arms.

I sunk into his hold, breathing in his scent and sighing in contentment. "We should go," I mumbled after a while and took his hand. With a gentle kiss on the back of my hand, he pulled me along beside him and we continued through town towards school.

****

"So," Ryder said, settling into our booth in the cafe. "Can I ask you guys something?"

We all sat around the table and I was squished in between Zach and Alexia, with a cup of hot chocolate. "If you could be human, like if there was a way to like... get rid of the wolf, would you do it?" He asked us and I waited for one of my friends to reply, my curiosity piqued.

"Yes." Jordan replied almost instantly and we all turned to her.

"Really?" Alexia asked, her eyes wide with shock.

"Absolutely, my wolf is a violent killer. If I could stop myself from turning into that, I would," she replied and I nodded. It made sense, not too long ago, Jordan's wolf would terrorise the pack and my dad was close to exiling her.

"I wouldn't," Ryder said and I turned to him.

"Why not?" I squinted my eyes at him curiously.

"What's so great about being human? What benefits are there?" He shrugged.