Chapter 31

I woke up the next morning to my alarm blaring. I groaned as I rolled over and smacked the top of it, silencing the thing. The sunlight was shining through the curtains making the room incredibly bright so I kept my eyes squeezed shut for a few minutes.

I finally peeled them open to see Zach and my dad in the doorway of my room watching me. I jumped slightly at the sight of them and the turned onto my side.

"That's not creepy."

"I'm going out," my father stated and I looked at him expectantly. "I wanted to tell you to try and have a good day and that you are not to leave Zach's side, understood?" He asked sternly and I grumbled.

"All day?" I whined and I saw Zach laugh beside my father.

"Ella," he warned and I nodded.

"Ok, ok, fine," I mumbled, burying my head in the covers.

"Bye honey." He smiled.

"Bye dad." My face was buried against the pillow and the covers were over my head at this point so who knows if he heard me.

"Are you going to get up?" I heard Zach ask after a while. My father had left and I had closed my eyes in an attempt to go back to sleep and the whole time he was just standing there.

"No," I grumbled.

"We have school," he stated.

"But my bed," I grizzled and I suddenly felt something grasp my legs. "No!" I squealed but he was already pulling me off the bed. His arms then grabbed my waist and he pulled me off the bed and out the room. I growled and snarled at him while he put me down and smirked.

"Come on." He laughed and he dragged me down the stairs and began making us both breakfast.

"I need meat," I told him after I had scoffed my toast in about 30 seconds.

"You just ate." He laughed, taking a bite of his own toast.

"I need meat," I repeated, opening the fridge and pulling out some raw chicken. I usually couldn't stand raw meat but I was desperate. I slit the packet open and pulled out the strips of raw chicken.

"When was the last time you ate meat?" Zach questioned and I thought back.

"Last week," I told him and his eyes widened. Since natural wolves had a diet that consisted of mainly meat, it was important for werewolves to also ensure they ate plenty in order to maintain their strength.

"Ella!"

"I'm sorry, I have been preoccupied." I grumbled before shoving the pieces of raw chicken into my mouth.

****

"Hey." I placed my plate - filled with meat as I was still craving - down onto the table and took my seat between Ryder and Caroline.

"Hey, how-," Lexi started.

"Don't ask, she gets mad," Ryder warned her and I elbowed him.

"I'm fine," I managed to answer without yelling.

"So I was doing some research on you know..," Mason started, "...werewolves," he whispered, "because you guys haven't really told me much. And is it true that a vampire bite would kill you?" He asked and we all laughed.

"Mason, vampires aren't real." Caroline giggled.

"Right, because blood sucking humans with fangs is completely crazy but humans with wolf characteristics that change on a full moon, thats totally normal."

"Vampires were a legend created to scare werewolves. They looked like humans so it kept werewolves away from them," I explained to him.

"So, what are your weaknesses?" He asked and I growled.

"Why do you want to know how to kill us?" I snarled and he gulped.

"Relax, I'm just interested," he stammered slightly.

"Silver, fire, wolfsbane," Caroline began and I growled.

"What are you doing!" I hissed.

"El, if he was going to kill us, he would've by now," she replied and I scoffed.

"No, he would've tried by now and I would've ripped his head clean off." I glared at Mason and his eyes widened.

"She's a little on edge with this whole 'someone wants me dead' thing," Ryder joked, stroking my hair, pretending to calm me down.

"Well, I know your strengths. Heightened senses, strength and speed, right?"

"Yeah, don't forget our teeth could easily rip through your flesh and crunch on your bones. Grim but possible." I grinned and Caroline elbowed me in the ribs.

"Will you stop," she grumbled before turning back to Mason. "And we heal fast," she continued and I growled before continuing to eat.

****

"Sweetheart, you have got to stop grumbling and smile at some point today," Zach whispered next to me in English.

"Oh, I'm sorry, you're right. I have so much to be happy about. I'm free, oh wait no. Well I'm safe, oh hang on thats not true either. Well at least I'm having fun, oh hang on, no I'm stuck at school writing a story about a bloody fish," I hissed.

"Smile," he whispered, elbowing me.

"Zach," I snapped back, not in the mood.

"Smile," he repeated, nudging me again.

"Zach seriously."

"Smile." He nudged me once more and I couldn't help but laugh at the cheesy grin on his face. He looked ridiculous. "There we go." He laughed and I rolled my eyes at him.

I continued writing when our receptionist came into the classroom and made her way to my desk. "Ella, this package was delivered for you," she told me, placing a small box in front of me. It was a cardboard box that was sellotaped shut and there was a small piece of paper on with the schools address and my name. I felt my heart hammering in my chest and Zach tensed up beside me.

"Thank you," I mumbled as she walked away. I reached for the box and stared at it.

"Give it to me," Zach ordered and I looked at him quizzically. "Ella." He glared and I nodded and placed the box in his hand.

Ryder and Blake turned around from in front of us and behind us, Jordan and Lexi leaned in. "What is it?" Jordan asked and Zach peeled the sellotape off. I watched him rip the piece of paper off and slowly open the box. His eyes widened and his eyebrows raised as he saw what was inside.

I peered over and my heart rate increased as I saw the small silver bullets that filled the box. Silver bullets that could kill me. "What the hell?" I gasped, pulling one out to inspect.

"Careful," Ryder pleaded and I nodded, twiddling it in between my thumb and finger, watching it burn my skin.

"Thats real silver," Lexi gasped from behind me while I quickly dropped it back into the box. My skin healed instantly from the burns but I knew if one of those was lodged in my skin or my heart I would be dead in an instant. I turned to Zach who was scowling at the box. There wasn't a note or anything, just the bullets.

"I thought they wanted you alive?" Blake asked and I shrugged.

"So did I," I told him as Zach put them in his bag.

"At least now we can shoot anyone who comes near you," he grumbled and I giggled.

He had a point, they had just given us a weapon. But surely they wouldn't be that stupid.