Chapter 4

"What could that guy possibly offer your dad?" Ryder asked as we made our way to the inner circle. In the inner circle was where my dads house, Beta Jacksons house (Ryders older brother) and a couple of protection wolves that my dad worked closely with, were situated.

"I really don't know," I replied absentmindedly. I was too deep in my thoughts as I tried to make sense of the situation while we trudged over broken twigs.

He lowered his voice to a whisper, "are you going to ask your dad?" He asked as we reached the outskirts of the inner circle, knowing that my dad could be listening in.

The thought consumed my mind for a moment. I couldn't stand being in the dark and it was very unusual for an outsider to join a pack, most wolves were born into one and stayed in it for the rest of their lives. Some wolves got exiled from packs but they usually became lone wolves until they died.

"I can't ask him straight out, he will bite my head off." I laughed. "But I will try and find out something," I assured him as we approached his house.

"Well good luck!" Ryder reached the end of his driveway and waved goodbye as I continued across the gardens to my house.

"Thanks," I called back as he slid his key into the door and disappeared inside. I began diving into my pocket for my own key as I approached the front gate. To my surprise, it was unlocked which meant my dad was home. This was the perfect time to slip Zach into a conversation and find something out. I pushed the gate open and pulled out my key, jamming it into the lock and wiggling it until I finally heard the click of the lock. I shoved the door open and threw my bag onto the floor.

I was met with the silence of an empty house and frowned. "Dad?" I called out.

"In here, honey," he called and I traced his voice to his home office. I trailed down the hallway and his voice got louder. I could hear him talking although I couldn't make out what he was saying or who he was talking to. I finally reached the open office door to find my dad and Zach sitting on his sofa, drinking scotch and laughing.

My jaw fell open as I entered the room and they both looked up to face me. A smirk spread across Zach's face as my dad rose from the sofa to give me a hug. "How was your day, honey?" He asked breezily, a wide smile on his face.

"It was fine," I replied curtly, staring at Zach, who's smirk never left his face.

"Ella, this is Zachary Thorn. Zach this is my daughter Ella," he introduced us, clearly unaware that we had already met.

"I -." I began but Zach quickly interrupted.

"Nice to meet you Ella." He reached his hand out for me to shake and he raised his eyebrows, waiting for me to respond, almost daring me to deny in front of my father.

"You too," I replied, rapidly shaking his hand and then retracting it. I narrowed my eyes at him quizzically while he simply smiled, a gleam in his eyes. The fact he had initiated the shake suggested he was the more authoritative one and was in control of me - something I didn't take lightly to.

"I will be back in a second, why don't you two get acquainted?" My father told us as his mobile began ringing. He slipped out the room and I heard the front door close and the faint sound of his voice saying 'hello' as he picked up the phone.

I turned my attention back to Zach who had returned to the sofa and continued drinking his drink. I grabbed a glass from above the fireplace and poured the brown liquid into it. I quickly threw it back down my throat and slammed the glass onto the table. The burning sensation of the alcohol on my tongue was practically instant, the fiery sensation coursed down my throat and warmed my innards but I concealed my discomfort and attempted to appear unbothered. The entire time Zach eyed me while sipping his drink. "So..?" I leaned back on the sofa opposite him and folded my right leg over my left one. "Why did you pretend we hadn't met?"

Zach leaned forward and placed his glass on the table, then rested both arms on his legs as he spoke. "Would you rather he knew you interrogated me all day?" He smirked and I shrugged. He had a point.

"Why are you here Zach?" I asked but before he could answer my dad re-entered the room. He slammed the door closed and let out a sigh as he walked over to the sofas. "Everything ok dad?" I questioned, standing up and turning to face him.

"Everything is fine sweetheart." He kissed my forehead and I knew not to push because that was all I was getting. I noticed his gaze moved off me and onto the table where the bottle of scotch sat and the three glasses.

Three.

"You had a drink?" He asked sternly, his featured contorted into a look of fury and I felt my hands become clammy with sweat. I swallowed the lump in my throat and took a breath before nodding - there was no point lying to him when the evidence was right behind me.

"Maybe," I mumbled quietly and he began to shake his head. While I was determined to be dominant in most situations, I would always be submissive in my relationship with my father. He was the Alpha and the most dominant wolf in the pack, I didn't stand a chance against the ice cold spears of dominance he emitted.

"You are underage Ella." He frowned and I realised he had given me the perfect opportunity to find out how much I was supposed to know about Zach.

"So is Zach," I shot back and he looked surprised.

"How do you know that?" He asked, his brows knitted together and his brown eyes squinted at me in an accusatory manner.

I panicked momentarily, how did I know that when we had supposedly just met? "I um... he just told me he would be attending Ridgeview," I replied. My father nodded and I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Well I don't like you drinking." He seemed lost for an answer which made me feel good. For once I had outsmarted my dad.

"It was only a small one dad." I smiled, nodding my head at his demand anyway, I knew I couldn't win.

"Well Ella, we have things to discuss so I will see you at dinner." My dad smiled, but I knew that was his polite way of telling me to get out.

"Okay." I left the room and stomped up the stairs to my bedroom. I kicked my shoes across the white fluffy carpet and flopped onto my bed. I let out a frustrated sigh and pulled out my phone.

"Jordan?" I called into the phone once she had picked up.

"Hey El, whats up?"

"He is here!" I explained crisply.

"Who?" She sounded genuinely clueless as if we hadnt spent the day wondering who the hell he was.

"Zach!" I yelled.

"What?! Why?"

"I don't know Jord. Him and my dad are having a drink and a chat in his office. God I hate that the room is sound proof!" I shouted, knowing that my dad couldn't hear me as the office walls were soundproof and he had closed the door, meaning I couldn't hear them and they couldn't hear me.

"Want to go for a run?" Jord asked me and I was so relieved to have a best friend that knew what would stop me from bubbling over with anger.

"Yes please!" I exclaimed.

We arranged a meeting point and I quickly changed into a pair of black sports leggings and a tight pink tank top. I slid my trainers on and pinned my long dark waves back into a ponytail before quickly racing down the stairs.

I knocked on my fathers office door and he opened it almost immediately. "I am going for a run," I told him and a confused expression crossed his face.

"Everything ok?" He asked. He knew me too well, he knew I went for a run to let off steam and stop myself from breaking down or having some sort of outburst. I nodded my head vigorously before saying I would be back for dinner and racing out the door.

Once I was outside I allowed my legs to take over, I let all my thoughts melt away as I put one leg in front of the other and sped towards the woods. I felt the cool air slam against my skin as I moved and within seconds, I was out of sight of the house.

****

Please let me know your thoughts on the chapters and remember to vote x