Chapter 20

In under ten minutes, Zach carried Masons body up and over the mountain, avoiding going through the village where we could have been seen. He placed Masons body against a rock and we all crowded around him, waiting.

I stared at the guy I had known since primary school, the guy that I hadn't bothered to speak to much until Caroline became his friend. The guy who made Caroline happier than I had ever seen her. The guy that broke apart when she stopped dating him and went around sleeping with whoever he could to forget about her. The guy who could get us all killed in an instant.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Caroline snapped at me after a few minutes in silence. I rolled my eyes and pushed myself up off the rock and turned to face her.

"I am sorry Car, that you don't like how I am dealing with the situation. But, its either my way or my dads way and we both know my dads way will involve Masons dead body floating out to sea and a missing persons report all over the news. I am trying to fix this without the bloodshed but if you don't like it I can call my dad right now," I snapped back. I hated to fight with her but I was trying to help her out and had put my neck on the line to deal with this.

"You don't have to be so mean to him," she argued, quieter than before but it was clear she was still angry. I couldn't stop the sarcastic laugh that erupted out of me and she scowled.

"Oh, no, you're right," I told her, "why don't I buy him lunch and let him braid my fur while he drives his knife through my heart!" I scoffed. My fists clenched at my sides and the anger surged through me. I was supposed to fix this while keeping the knowledge away from the pack, keeping my friends happy and without causing too much bloodshed.

She scoffed and turned to sit back down on the rock and instantly, I felt guilty. I knew she cared about him and not only had I blamed her, I had made her feel like killing him was the only option.

I sighed and moved closer to her. "Look, I don't want to hurt him. You know that. But he knows Caroline, he knows and that means the whole pack is in danger; including you." I explained softly.

"I know, its just..." she sobbed out and cut herself off.

"Just what?" I inquired.

"I still care about him, and now he knows, I can be with him without lying to him. I know its stupid, but..."

"Its not stupid Caroline, maybe you will. Once he has got over the desire to plunge a dagger in your heart." I laughed and she giggled with me.

"Yeah, well what relationship is perfect." We both laughed until the sound of Mason waking reminded us of the situation.

"Where am I?" He murmured, half asleep.

"In the woods," I told him monotonously.

"Oh my god you're going to kill me aren't you," he exclaimed, scrambling to his feet. The same look of fear contorted his face.

"No! Relax." Caroline laughed

"She said she would kill me," he whispered, pointing at me. He edged away from me and towards Caroline slightly.

"I was a little stressed," I told him, shrugging my shoulder and glaring.

"Why did you bring me here?" He asked, his eyes narrowed on me.

"To talk," I stated. I kept my glare on him but sat back down on the rock beside Zach.

"She definitely wont kill me?" He whispered to Caroline and I laughed.

"I'll try my best." I scoffed and he turned to me. His expression now appeared a mixture of fear and confusion.

"You heard that?" He asked, curiosity laced his tone and we all scoffed at his comment. I thought for a moment and decided that the best option at the moment is to answer his questions and remove his fear. Then he can make up his mind about the secret, I just hoped he would choose to keep it.