Chapter 19

A week passed without much happening. Zach and my father spent the days whispering together behind closed, sound proofed doors that I couldn't listen through.

"So I analysed the substance in the bottle," Blake began at lunch. "And it was basically a mixture of powdered wolfsbane petals and hydrochloric acid."

"Wolfsbane?" Alexia repeated. Her tone was clearly panicked as the realisation sunk into all of us while Blake nodded.

"Wait... so they know I am a werewolf?" Ryders voice came out as a swirling concoction of nervous and confused. The same question was hammering in my head as I waited with baited breath for Blake to tell us we were wrong. That our secret was safe. That we were safe.

"I think so." Blake nodded solemnly. My fists clenched beneath the table while my wolf stirred inside me.

"I thought wolfsbane just meant the wolf lost control?" Zach asked, his eyebrows were pulled together in confusion and his lips were slightly pouted. I couldn't help but think about how it felt to kiss them.

"Thats the leaves," I told him, regaining my self control and hopefully a little dignity. "The petals are poisonous and a lot of them can kill werewolves pretty much instantly." I never realised how clueless Zach was when it came to basic werewolf knowledge. I guess without a pack to teach him, he never would know.

"Oh." I could hear the fear in his voice and it scared me slightly. Zach never seemed scared of anything and always appeared relaxed.

"I am going to go and call my dad to tell him, I will be back in a minute," I told them before making my way out of the dining hall and towards an empty classroom.

"Hey dad," I called down the phone.

"Hi Ella, everything ok?"

"Yes, everything's fine. I just wanted to let you know that Blake found out what the substance was in the bottle Ryder was given."

"Really? What was it?" I could hear voices in the background and I knew he was busy. He was always working but recently he was out all day, every day with different people and was being more and more secretive about it.

"Liquified wolfsbane and some acid," I told him carefully.

"Wolfsbane," he repeated in a slow, dangerously low voice. I nodded, despite the fact he couldn't see me.

"Somebody out there knows he is a wolf," I murmured, the phone shaking in my hand.

"Ok honey, I will look into it as soon as I can. Tell Blake to be careful handling that stuff," he instructed. "Bye sweetie."

I turned around to leave and Caroline suddenly burst into the room. I furrowed my eyebrows as soon as I noticed her panicked state, her face was far too pale and I could see a layer of sweat on her forehead. Her eyes clouded over with fear and were as wide as saucers as she choked on her words. "Ella, we have a massive problem." She was physically trembling as she stammered and I felt the knot in my stomach tighten. My hands instantly became clammy as I gestured for her to continue.

"Mason...," she whispered and then swallowed. "Mason asked to speak to me and..." Her lip quivered. "...we went into the storage room to speak and...and he had a knife dipped in wolfsbane. He tried to kill me Ella. He knows," she cried. My breathing halted instantly and my head began to spin. I could barely register her words as my world came crashing down around me. I felt the crushing weight on my heart as I thought about the last two words.

He knows.

Not only did he know what we were, but he knew how to kill us. I thought I was going to throw up.