Day 18: Burning Building AU

All Winston had gotten up for was to turn the heat down a few degrees. Little did he know that his house was the heat. A tsunami of flames greeted him as he opened his bedroom door. He immediately swung it shut again. He ran over to his husband, Dillon and frantically shook him awake.

"Dillon, Dillon, the house is on fire. Get up! Get up!" Dillon was awake after hearing that.

"What?!" He cried, shooting out of bed.

"We need to get the kids. Now." Winston ran back to the door. He opened it once more, and saw Alden open his on the other side of the upstairs.

"Dad?!" He called out. Winston looked over to him.

"Stay there! I'll come to you!" Winston shouted. He quickly grabbed a damp washcloth from their bathroom in the bedroom, and put t over his face. Once ready, he flung the door open and made a mad dash to Alden's room.

The smoke was slowly getting thicker as the fire spread higher up the walls. Winston coughed as some of it was inhaled. Luckily it didn't take long for him to reach his oldest son's room.

"Dad! How did this happen?! Are we trapped?!" Alden asked frantically. Winston knelt down in front of him.

"I don't know how this fire started, kiddo...we're not trapped, there's a window in our room that we're gonna climb out of. Now listen to me, the second I open this door, we run down the hall. You go straight for dad, and I'm going to stop and grab your brother. Can you do that?" He asked. Alden nodded slowly, his eyes welling up with tears.

"Alright. 3...2...1...go go go!" Winston opened the door, pushing Alden ahead. Dillon waited at the doorway, embracing Alden into a hug, giving a quick glance to his husband, before slamming the door shut again. Winston stopped at Avery's door. He quickly stepped in.

"D-D-Dad! W-Wha-?" Avery was sobbing fearfully, watching the smoke roll under the door.

"Aves, come on buddy. Hop on my back and we're gonna get out of here with dad and Al. Ready?" Winston bent down to let Avery jump up onto him, which he did.

Winston wasted no time in rushing back to his room for the final time. He slammed the door shut and stuffed bag towels in the bottom crack, he sighed in satisfaction. He'd gotten his family to the checkpoint. Now for the safe zone.

"Alright, Dill, open the window. You go out first, that way you can catch the kids when they jump down to you." Dillon capitulated, forcing open the window and crawling out. Their house had a smalls section of roof that was lower, which you could walk on if you went out the window. Dillon then jumped off of that to the grass below.

"Alright, Avery you climb out next but do not jump down yet. Alden you go after him." Avery didn't even hesitate getting out. Alden followed instantly. Avery has grabbed Alden's hand and refused to let go. Winston then climbed out to join them. Just in time, too. The flames were finally pushing through to their room.

"I'm ready to catch you!" Dillon called up to them. Winston turned to the kids.

"Alden! You first this time! Hurry!" Alden quickly moved to the edge. Biting his lip, he leaped off towards his dad on the ground, who caught him easily. Once his feet touched the grass, Dillon instructed him to go all the way back to the sidewalk.

"Alright, Avery, now you!" Winston held his hand as he guided him closer to the edge.

"I-I can't! N-No! D-Dad please!" He sobbed. Winston pulled him close.

"Hey, you can do this. It's just like at the park, remember? You climb up the monkey bars, then jump down to us? Just think of it like that. You'll be just fine." Winston reassured. Avery seemed to calm down a little after that. His body still trembling, he came to the edge. Closing his eyes the second he left the roof, he jumped. Dillon moved to the left slightly, and caught the last child with excellent precision.

"Winston! Come on!" Dillon yelled up. Winston stepped forward to the edge himself. Just as he was about to jump down. Another part of the house literally burst into bigger flames, making everything shake. Including the roof Winston was standing on. He tried keeping his balance, but slipped, falling backwards towards the ground.

He expected either a harsh impact or an insta-kill, but instead was met with his panting husband's arms, being held bridal style.

"You saved me." Winston murmured, as Dillon set him down.

"Your damn right I did. Look at this. You got us all out safely. Not even slightly touched by fire. You're my hero, Winston Gray." They went to the sidewalk with their children, who embraced Winston in a double bear hug.

Soon, the fire department arrived and put an end to the fire. The house was gone for good, sadly. But thanks to Winston, their family was as strong as ever.

I loved writing this one because the prompt reminded me of the house fire episode of This Is Us so I kinda based it off of that except the daddo isn't going to fucking die this time (I cried the whole time when it happened)

Peace out my dudes!✌🏻🍪