11 : Family

He looked at me in disbelief.
"You did it! I thought it was Fiona in the lake but you were able to mindlink me." Logan sounded so happy in my head.

I pursed my lip "You're underestimating me!"

He laughed "Mace was right, I had to push you into the water."

"Hey!" I jumped up. All tiredness was gone.
Either my period or my newly marked existence was making me all moody.

"So what does my beautiful mate needs help with?" he asked with his devilish smile.
I gave him a glare.
Logan cleared his throat "I mean beautiful Lauren"
I gulped.
"I want to find out about my mother's death circumstances."

He frowned after I told him all I knew, which was practically nothing.
He looked through me now. He was probably mindlinking someone.
I fiddled my fingers.
I liked Logan and I trusted him.
It was the first time talking about my mom with someone beside my family.
But Logan was family to me now. He was a part of me thanks to the bond.
Somehow he was part of my life.
His position of an alpha would make it more easy to find out what happened to her.

"Lauren, what about lunch now, hmh?" Logan asked a little too friendly.
"What's going on in that mind of yours?" I asked.
"I am going to show you off to my pack tomorrow." he smiled "And I can't wait to show all men, whom you belong to."

I blushed "Yeah, that sounds like a plan."

"About your mom. I think we should visit your family to find out, what do you think?"

I jumped up "When can we go?"

                                      •••

We arrived at my home village in the afternoon. When I came to the packhouse I did not notice that it took so long.
I was out of breath when we knocked on my old house' door.

"Who is that again?!" I heard Amy furiously yelling and lumbering to the door.
Why was she mad? My Amy never was that mad.
Never did she yell at someone who knocked on our door.

She opened the door with a tug before I could even say 'It's me'.
And I was shocked.
Who is that woman in front of me?
My Amy wore her bun always neatly with a comfortable dress and an apron.
The woman in front of me had a messy bun her dress looked kinda dirty. Was that the same dress she wore when I left?
"Amy-" tears swelled in my eyes.
Oh, my Amy.

"Oh, my!" Amy shouted.
The frying pan in her hand that she obviously wanted to hit unwelcome guests with was thrown away and I was forced in a hug that suffocated me.
"My baby!" she sobbed.
Petting my back and swinging me like the baby me in her arms.
Logan growled warningly.
With that she noticed Logan's presence and pushed me behind her back immediately.
She crossed her arms in front of her huge figure and stared unfriendly at my mate.
"You'll only get her over my dead body!" was all she said.

Oh, shit.
Then I'll get over your dead body then.
his wolf growled in my head.
No, no. There is no way, that's happening!
I pushed myself in front of Logan and Amy to avoid a murder scene.
"Amy, please! I'm doing well!" That was the truth, right? I wasn't starving and tortured. So one could say I was fine.
"He actually proposed to visit you. He has no ill intentions!"
I pleaded Amy with my eyes.

It was clear that she was very close to ripping his throat apart. But she remembered her manners and retreated immediately after he cocked his eyebrow cockily (no pun intended).
"I'm sorry, alpha! My protecting instincts took over, please forgive me." Amy bowed her head submissively. Her tone made clear that she wasn't sorry at all.
Logan just nodded courtly "I am sure you had your reasons."
"Please come in." she then added.
I got to our living room. Everything was still the same as if I never left.
Well, it's just been a few days soooo...

"Where's Dad, Amy?" I took her dry hands into mine.
This woman had suffered so much because of me.
She sighed glancing at Logan briefly before saying "He is working on the fields to work off the debt."
"What?" I furrowed my eyebrows.
"He is blaming himself for the way" Amy glanced at Logan again "you, uh... had to leave. He is trying to get as much as crop to get you back."
Logan sighed and left the room. The closing door of the house told me he was leaving the house.

Tears welled up in my eyes.
Dad was rarely on the crop fields because he was busy with major responsibilities.
Him now returning to the peasant even being old and weak means that he must feel so damn guilty.
"Hun, he wants to free you."
"Logan is my mate" I answered almost inaudible.
"He is no good for you! He's dangerous. Has he hurt you?" she then noticed the mark.
Her eyes widened "Oh, goddess!" she then met my eyes. Now it was her turn to tear up.
"You even smell like him now. Oh my poor baby!" she cried.

"What did he do to you?!" she cried out hugging me again.

"Amy, it's alright." I was now comforting my nanny.
Inhaling her unique scent I wondered whether I do really smell like Logan now.

"No, no. It's not!" her eyes wavered. She had stopped crying.

"You need to escape!"