29 : Like beef on a grill

"Aaaaaaaaaaarrrggggg!!!!" Alice screamed. I was sitting in front of the labor room with a few pack members nibbling nervously on my fingers. Chris was inside with Alice helping her mentally to push their child out. It has been 2 hours by now and even though I was not inside I felt tortured. "Please, please you can do it!" I fold my fingers and prayed for a helathy labor for both mother and child. 

Alice cried and my heart bled for her. I felt a prickling sensation running down my spine. Logan was here. "Why is it taking so long?" he wanted to know from one of the pack members, who was related to Alice. I hugged Logan. Lately I've been a little clingy with him. Luckily he didn't mind at all. 

"Alpha, no need to worry. It's not unusual to take so long..." the woman rambled nervously. "No wonder, Chris is mindlinking people like crazy..." Logan murmured wrapping his arms around me. Like that we stood in front of the labor room waiting until a baby scream was heard. "Finally!" I breathed out. Everyone in front of the labor room sighed in relief. 

We stormed into the labor room when the nurse finally allowed us to. "Alice, you did so well! You're so strong! Make sure to rest. Leave everything else to your husband..." I rambled. My worn out friend nodded smiling. Chris who sat next to her looked just worn out like his mate. However he was smiling at the little red head in his arms. "What's her name?" Logan asked grinning. 

"Theresa" Alice smiled.

Soon we left the loving family to spend some alone time. Logan who has been acting a little strange these days seemed to be bothered by something. Something I couldn't quite put a finger on. "Are you okay? Somthing's on your mind, right?" I asked my mate. Logan just smiled and said "Don't worry about it." 

Maybe it's some pack business he's concerned about. 

"Tonight is the conference I've told you about. You sure you want to come?" Logan sighed.

I remember Logan mentioning it a few days ago. It's a conference where all of our neighboring Alphas come together to talk about the urgent issues but also just a meeting point for the traders business men and woman to see eachother and discuss about the success of one's year collaboration. These kind of meetings are harmless since voilence is strictly forbidden.

I had a lot to do as the new Luna. I took the education of all the children very seriously. Investing into the renewing of the schools and kindergartens. I kind of underestimated the paperwork that came along with my plans. However Logan was by my side and he also assigned skilled workers to accomplish the difficult task. 

But no matter how busy I was I wanted to join the conference. After all it's the first official invitation I got. "I would love to accompany you!" I smiled.

"I'm not sure whether I want all the men to stare at you." Logan deliberated.

"Logan" I pouted. 

5 hours later

I was wearing a white glittery gown with a V-neck. I have never worn a gown in my entire life before but I knew for sure that the texture was not cheap.

"Wow, applause for the deflowered lady!" Fiona cheered.

I hope everyone's nice to me. Since I am new I should leave a good first impression. Yupp, I don't want to make things difficult for Logan!

"That's the spirit!!!" Fiona yelled.

"Don't think your cheer ups are making up for that night." I growled at her.

"A wolf can try." Fiona mumbled.

I looked at the ballroom where couples were already entangled in eachother dancing to the music. I took in the crystal glasses lined up next to the buffet. The huge chandelier hanging from the ceiling and it thousand sparkly diamond shaped crystals, even the parquet I was walking on felt like it was hundred years old. On the walls were paintings of werewolves. Yupp, I feel out of place. Again. I looked around noone was familiar here. I started a conversations with a few Lunas however most of them were quite reserved as well, which was why the conversations got awkward soon. 

I learned that I am not made for official receptions. Logan felt my problem and soon dragged me around to greet Alphas of the other packs and business partners. 

My mate looked quite fine I gotta admit. His dark hair was combed back giving him an elegant aura. Furthermore he was wearing a white shirt under his suit, which added to his formal attire a touch of dominance.

"Just admit that you're drooling over him." Fiona gibed.

Logan winked at me. Oh, did he hear that? I gulped the wine I was served hastily down. 

"Alpha Logan, are you enjoying the night?" a rich voice suddenly called out. We turned around to meet an elderly man dressed nicely in a suit. "Mr Mcgomery." Logan nodded "It's truly nice to see so many familiar faces after a year." Logan continued seizing the man. That Mr Mcgomery was no other but Luna's father. Luna the blonde that was involved with Logan. Even after mating I felt inferior to Luna Mcgomery. I mean look at her Dad - he is the epitome of rich. "It's great that you're enjoying yourself once in a while." the man laughed. However the laugh didn't reach his eyes. His eyes then were directed to me. Penetrating me before he turned his gaze away wishing Logan good luck for the coming conference with all the other Alphas.

"I feel like beef on a grill." I mindlinked Logan.

"Nothing will happen to you. He won't 'cause trouble for the sake of his business." Logan mindlinked back.

I glanced at him unconvinced "No worries! The Mcgomerys won't do anything ridiculous to harm you. Not when I'm here to protect you." he smiled down at me.

I nodded at him, who then kissed my forehead."Make sure to remember that!" I mindlinked.

That's when I noticed a lost looking guy at the buffet. "Who is that? Is he lost?" I asked Logan out loud.

"Beta Carlos! Long time no see!" Logan strolled to the awkward looking guy who was ... contemplating what to eat at the buffet! Carlos turned around. Obviously happy that someone had wanted to talk to him. Poor him! He looked just like how I felt! I smiled at the shy Carlos who had a pair of bright eyes behind his horn-rimmed glasses. "Alpha Logan!" he called out timidly. 

"Alpha Victor is not here at the moment..." Carlos looked around frantically to show that his Alpha was not around. He seemed to be an intersting figure that Alpha Victor. I mean, I don't know a lot about Betas but from what I've seen tonight, and I swear I had greeted so many people that I forgot their names right after the conversations, Betas are usually either bulky, tall and like super serious or more the super duper social type. Carlos was neither of both types.

"I can see. Victor is probably sneaking around and threatening the shit outta people." Logan mumbled. Carlos laughed awkwardly. It seemed like Logan had guessed right.

"Hi Carlos! My name's Lauren. Nice to meet you!" I smiled friendly extending my hand to him. "Uhh, nice to meet you!" he accepted my outstretched hand and looked nervously at my mate standing possessively next to me. Before Logan could drag me to some other guests I talked to the guy "The fish fillet is really good! You should try it. I also recommend the mixed salad with olives. Then again the beef sauce tastes kind of gross." I grinned at Carlos gulping down more of that wine. "Thank you for the recommendation. I am not a great fan of beef anyway." he smiled politely. Out of all people I met tonight Carlos was truly the nicest. 

"How is the construction planning going? Victor mentioned that to me a while ago." Logan asked Carlos. "It's going right well! Alpha Victor has convinced the unwilling architects after some negotiations and the old Alpha seemed to approve the decision as well." Carlos answered curtly. "How is the old Alpha doing these days? Still annoying Victor to death?" Logan inquired. "Well, I am not in the place to say anything regarding that matter." Carlos mumbled. "I see. Seems like nothing's changed." Logan grinned. 

The guys were talking happily about business while I felt the urge to relief myself after trinking too much wine. "Guys, please excuse me!" I said before walking to the bathroom.

Just after I relieved myself and washed my hands did the bathroom door open and an all so familiar face entered the bathroom. Luna Mcgomery. 

The bathroom, Luna and me - it must be fate that we always meet like that.

______________________________________________

Author's note:

Happy New Year, dear ghostreaders!!! 🎆