Prologue

• Dedicated to Marisa H.

                                                                   Prologue

            Look, I didn’t sign up for this, okay? When I was a little kid, I didn’t want to be a criminal. I never thought I could ever steal, and I definitely didn’t think I could ever kill someone. But I guess dreams don’t always come true. Maybe if I hadn’t gone to that party, I wouldn’t be here. I would’ve led a normal teenage life. But I guess that’s not what God wanted for me. I might never know what he wanted. All I know is that this is my life, and I can’t ever go back to who I was before. Not after what I’ve done. If only I could go back. If only…….

            But this is my life, and I can’t change that. My life will never be the same as it was before. Life must change, and so must I. It’s inevitable. Everything changes, and no one can control that. Maybe it was better this way, that all this happened. I always knew I couldn’t lead a normal life, and this was just one possibility out of hundreds that could’ve happened. It could be worse. I could be dead on the side of the road, naked. But I’m not, and that’s all that matters. I might die here, but if I do, I know I left my mark on this world. No one will ever forget me. My name is Juliette Stevenson, and I’m the girl who found the darkness.

                                               Oh, there ain’t no rest for the wicked,

                                                       Money don’t grow on trees.

                                       I’ve got bills to pay, I’ve got mouths to feed,

                                       And ain’t nothing in this world’s for free.

           Oh no, I can’t slow down, I can’t hold back, though you know I wish I could.

                                       Oh no there ain’t no rest for the wicked,

                                               Until we close our eyes for good.

                               Cage The Elephant, Ain’t No Rest For The Wicked