Chapter 5

The attack had everyone involved shaken. No one talked the rest of the trip home, the quiet of the suddenly happy turned terrifying win continuing even when we returned from the port key. Dad and I didn't speak unless we had to. Thankfully, I didn't earn a lecture of why I should've told him as Mr. Weasley kept that between us.

Between us and Cedric. I'd rather take Dad's lecture a hundred times over my silence with Cedric. We parted ways from the port key without a single word to one another. He found his sobbing Dad more interesting to help than his guilty friend.

So when Dad announced he was going on a business trip for a few weeks, I didn't know what to think when I offered to have a night in with him instead of going over to Cedric's the night before term. Our 6 year tradition vanished just like our communication until the first day of term. It was not only hard to go to bed without being stuffed of Mrs. Diggory's pot roast, but hard going to bed knowing Cedric and I would be going to school on rough terrain. It was possibly the most unhappy I've been in a long time. That long stretch of happiness was because of Cedric and because I wasn't with him. I saw the gap of his role in my life.

"Are you sure you don't want me to drop you off?" Dad asked from the entrance of King's Cross, bending down to catch my eye from the ground. My eyes had wandered there a lot over the last week.

I smiled and reminded myself that I needed to stay present however unhappy I was. For Dad's sake. He already felt guilty about canceling our dinner with the Diggorys. He knew Cedric and I weren't on the best terms, only by the way I so easily offered up the night of the traditional dinner, and I knew he wanted us to make up. On top of that he would be leaving for a business trip, one he couldn't disclose to even me.

"I'm sure." I assured with a soft smile. It was my most truthful grin all week. I guess Dad had that effect on me to actually be happy.

"Alright, I guess this is it then." Dad looked around as if I had forgotten something. "Oy, get in here."

I accepted his hug easily, his arms the second pair I felt most comfortable in. In this moment I'd do anything to be in my favorite pair of arms but knowing that wasn't an option due to my silence with the head of those arms, I took Dad's with a full heart.

"I love you, darling." He kissed the top of my head.

"I love you, too, Dad." I didn't let go, his arms tightening around me. I thought nothing of it, knowing he was still feeling guilty. But when I saw his eyes filled with more worry than guilt, I knew something was up.

"You'll be alright?" He asked while looking over me again.

His tone implied more than his actual words. Reminding me of the tone used when asking if I had had any fortunes, I ignored it. If Dad wanted to ask if I had had a fortune, he would ask. I already hated it so I wouldn't be one to start that conversation.

"Yes, Dad." I droned with a laugh, acting as an annoying teenager as best as I could.

"Be safe, alright?" He said after me.

His words had me stop the cart I was pushing. He never said be safe. Like ever. And here he was.

"You too, okay, Dad?" I called a few feet from him.

"I will. Goodbye, dear."

I waved once and turned back around, ensuring myself he was just on edge after the attack. Yes. There had been a lot of danger recently and he just wanted to remind me.

Along with Dad's weird farewell, the Weasley twins red hair reminded me of that attack.

"We've missed you, love!" Fred said from my right as he hugged me from behind. His twin close behind on the other side.