Chapter 35

The death of Bartemius Crouch passed much more slowly than expected through the halls of Hogwarts. Maybe my fellow classmates were all too obsessed with the Triwazard Tournament, the more frilly parts of it of course (like what each contestant was wearing or who was cheering for which champion), because they found a cold case murder too boring to reach my ears.

I didn't need to overhear Dean telling Seamus about it or even see McGonagull talking in a hushed voice. Hell, it was almost childish for Hermione to run in the night that Harry found the supposed next Minister of Magic in the Forbidden Forest.

I doubt the sixth year Hufflepuff Dorm was buzzing that evening but I knew one of the suite mates felt something in the air.

So, the morning that the news officially broke, which included a mysterious yet firm reminder from Dumbledore not to enter areas that are off limits (I assumed he was letting the Daily Prophet get the real word out first), it was no surprise that Cedric made his way over to me.

It had been two days and yet I hadn't prepared myself. Sure, I didn't physically crumble when he stood by politely but I had really only worked on keeping myself looking calm on the outside.

On the inside...let's just say I didn't know how I raised my lips ever so slightly in greeting, before accepting his offer to walk me to class.

Hermione and Ron were also working it all out in their heads. Only a handful of times had I ever let Cedric voluntarily guide me in the halls. Even on good terms and before he was properly crowned the champion golden boy by the Goblet of Fire, walking with Cedric was like walking on pins and needles.

What was everyone thinking? Why was he holding his hand against my back? Did that girl just give us a dirty look? No, she just gave me a dirty look. Was the a wink from Professor Sprout towards us? Nope, definitely just a wink toward her favorite prefect.

Now, on rocky terrain and the title and pressure of being a champion on his back, walking with him seemed like a monstrous task for 10 in the morning.

Cedric sensed my inner turmoil and decided to lift the physical load by slipping my bag off my shoulder for him to carry. It helped for a second, being barren of some true weight from my shoulders. His arm didn't weigh nearly as much, even with it holding me on my mid back, but the emotional weight it carried made me wish for my books back.

His fingers were easily felt, despite the light school sweater I wore. It was the way they were pressing into my ribs, sculpting my form. Gentle, yes, but more persistent than anything else. I guess with the death of a man having taken place not a mile from us, Cedric wasn't taking chances.

I was about to step into the hole I'd been crawling out of for days, the one where I tried to figure out how Crouch was killed, when my feet were stopped and my brain engaged in different matters.

Different matters being Cedric.

Who knew my breath would hitch at seeing him. And not because I was happy to be so close to him but because I wanted to be as far away as I could get.

At the sound of my fright, he stepped forward while his eyes stepped back a second later. It was normal for him to comfort me, like any good best friend it was second nature. But it had been so long...and comfort between us was anything but normal.

Nothing was normal. Not this school year, not the dark energy following us around, not me, not Cedric, and most definitely not us.

Still, his hands found my wrists in reassurance while his eyes quietly asked me if it was okay.

Was it?

Sure, my breathing had come back but nothing else had left.

A man was still dead. Dumbledore and Hogwarts were watching me as close as ever. My ability to see the future was ever pressing, if not taking a break for the earlier trouble it had caused me. And Cedric was still a champion...for now.