Chapter 36

Cedric knew I believed in him. I'd be his supporter till the day he died. I just feared, that whatever task was being brewed, was going to bring that final day of cheering for him, much faster than we wanted.

There was too much not to see as a coincidence. Too much had happened for this to be just another Triwizard Tournament.

Even if avoiding that the Boy Who Lived had been chosen, no one could see past the very Dark Mark that had tried to claim him, appearing at the most recent world event. It was a kickstarter for the Death Eaters, to warn the world that a joyous time of unity was going to be anything but.

With the Forbidden Forrest being off limits, Mr. Crouch's death within it, and the mysterious aura that had been cast ever since Igor Karkaroff had stepped on the grounds, just to name a few, there was too much to completely turn a blind eye to.

As a regular student, I'd be concerned. As a close friend to Harry Potter, I'd watch where I was going. As a student, close confidant of The Chosen One, and a seer, I was scared to even take a step sometimes.

"You screaming my name with some silly rhyme, won't save me this time, ya think?"

It was endearing, how hard Cedric was trying to keep cool. I'd thought about how he was handling this countless times, but never got too far out of immense worry and anxiety. Now here I was, telling him he wouldn't live to see next term.

"Ced-" I apologetically started, only to be silenced with a wave of his hand.

He chuckled, nervously, before straightening his back to look at me. He was mustering so much confidence. He did it a lot, wanting to be Golden Boy for every student he walked by and every teacher who called on him. For his Dad, a lot, did he do this. I was always so happy because he never did it with me. He didn't need to. He was enough.

And here I was telling him he wasn't going to be this time around.

"I have to try." He finally said, his lips strong and still.

"I know."

"My best." He added. I felt him hold me closer. If I couldn't see the fear in his eyes I would tell him it was almost starting to hurt how pressed against each other we were.

"I know." Is all I said.

"You do too. Try your best. Think of good fortunes."

That's where he lost me. His tone was joking, clearly, but my abilities were a sore subject at the moment.

"That can't save you, Ced."

"I'm kidding." Again, with that nervous chuckle. This time is was short, sounding more like him choking on air that anything.

I watched him tip his forehead to press into mine. Suddenly, we weren't close enough.

I felt his breathing quicken and delay at the same time, as his eyes closed in focus to keep himself standing. Cedric was always so strong that it took me a second to see him panicking in front of me.

While I screamed and whined and all but crushed every fragile thing in front of me, Cedric freaked in his own quiet way. I felt the world had it out for me, so when I was upset I took it out on the world. Cedric, had the world on his shoulders. So his way of expressing immense frustration was to turn away from it and turn into himself.

I had just gotten him back. And just barely. I couldn't lose him.

So I did the only thing I thought would bring him back out to the world. To me.

I kissed him. And Merlin, it felt good.

It started as a peck, as I reached him as a last resort. That peck, if you could really call me sticking my lips onto his, lasted less than a second, as Cedric pulled me as close as possible. Melting into one another, I can still taste the cinnamon from his cereal. My coffee breath didn't seem to be an issue for him, as he invited me to open my mouth. It's not a slippery and immature make-out, with mistakes in it. Sure, we're not perfect, as most of our time together hasn't been spent making out, but we definitely have watched each other talk to know how we work.