Chapter 31

AAs crummy as the late winter months were, I had never felt as warm and bright before. Sure, there was plenty looming over us.

Dark Magic was still at the forefront of every administrator's mind. While they still enjoyed handing out lofty assignments, I still caught my teachers gazing out at the snowy windows more times than usual. I always forced myself to look away before they caught me, knowing I'd be asked more questions than most.

But if questioned, I could just feign an answer about the tournament. Every student seemed to remember the event which called for the Yule Ball, only once there was annoyance associated with the old gossip from the night. The Second Task was coming quickly, which swept frenzy throughout Hogwarts. Whispers at what the task could be filled the halls more so than before the First. With no expense having been paid with the slew of dragons, anything was possible.

Of course, the last thing I wanted to tell a teacher is that I was daydreaming about the Triwizard Tournament. While I'd be getting my peers out of class early, I'd be shipped off to Dumbledore, and not let out until I disclosed all I had seen.

It would be a conversation of even more tension once I told them they probably had better luck contracting visions of the future than me.

I had learned my lesson on wishing for a fortune, but the thought did cross my mind. It was at night, the sign that Second Task was one day closer, did I long for knowing what was to come. If not to put me at peace, to ease the burden off of Cedric's shoulder.

I'd then remember that Cedric had forbidden my help. After seeing my anxiety so upfront and personal, Cedric now had the full picture of just how hard it was for me. And he wanted in no way to add to it. I fubbed a line or two about it not being his fault, but he heard nothing of it. More accurately, neither of us heard much else as he silenced me the same way he had distracted me before.

My cheeks warmed at the thought and I couldn't help but be amused by my cereal. My eyes flitted up once I felt myself return to my wintery-pale self, only to catch a confused look from Hermione. She smirked before glancing behind me and to my right. Not thinking about the direction, I followed her gaze. It wasn't until I myself had made eye contact with Cedric, did I understand her confusion.

Cedric was looking at me. And not like usual. He was looking at me like he had kissed me. And like he wanted to do it again.

I wanted to tell him to get a grip. But I couldn't deny that the four weeks it had been since we'd kissed had been three weeks and six days too long. It was already hard to be around Golden Boy on any given day, what with our schedules, classloads and other responsibilities. Now with the tournament, it was nearly impossible. And as the Second Task neared, the masses swarmed him. While I agreed to help him figure out the egg (without my gift), we hadn't set a date yet. He seemed eager to come up with one from across the Great Hall, though.

While pondering a way to tell him I was free tonight either through a quick look or by chucking a biscuit at him, I felt Hermione's eyes again.

Knowing better now, I decided to turn around slowly, getting all I could out of looking at him. Instead of meeting a pair of dazzling grey eyes, my view was blocked by a pair of black robes that nobody wanting a long look at.

"Hello there." Professor McGonagall smiled down at me.

"Hi. Professor." I heard Hermione say, pausing to finish swallowing. She also took the moment after to kick my leg.

"Professor," I said as evenly as I could muster. While Hermione vied for the witch's approval, I could do without any extra visits from the Animagus.

"Can I speak to you for a moment in the hallway,..."

I was already setting my napkin down on the table as she said my last name. I could hear the strain she put on the word 'miss' prior to it, as she never showed such kindness toward my meal mate.

"Absolutely." It was taking everything out of me to appear strong and certain in my actions. The focus I had on my movements being calculated and clean, I barely noticed Cedric standing himself. While following the Transfiguration teacher out, I shook my head at him. Now wasn't the time. I could handle myself. Hopefully.

Cedric slowly sat down, his eyes never leaving mine.

"Tell me, dear, how have you been keeping yourself busy these days?"

Of course, McGonagall wasn't going to cut to the chase. That's how she achieved maximum fear out of her students. She took her time to get to the scary point. I would applaud her brilliance if I wasn't as terrified as I was.

"Well, I've received plenty of work after my mid-year exams. All fascinating, of course." We might both be beating around the bush, but I didn't want to set it on fire any more than I was going to by insulting her teaching or any other education I was earning.

McGonagall raised a brow in interest, waiting for the answer she wanted.

I'd give it to her. But on my teams.

Tucking the ends of my sleeves, I sized up my teacher while I rocked on my heels. "And the commotion of the Tournament isn't missed on me. Professor."

We stood for a moment, steady silence filling the hall. I could help but think of my Dad's advice when he learned his own Professor was still teaching.

"Have patience with her, and she'll have patience with you." He had said one night. I had been thinking of that line a lot recently, with having to wait for so much.

"Very well." She gave a small smile, one I only half believed in by the unusual glint in her eye, before beginning to walk past me.

A breath escaped my lips as I was left alone. My shoulders had barely shifted down to their normal position when my teacher stopped short on the steps to turn back to me. She called my name to which I looked behind to give her my full attention.

"Yes, Professor?"

That half-smile, one filled with teacher counsel and the smallest bit of true hope, returned to her face as she looked down at me. "I do employ you to prepare for the Second Task. This is a school competition after all and the entire student body is involved. And with your connection to both Mr. Potter and Mr. Diggory,"

I gulped at his name, not wanting to hear the end of her sentence.

McGonagall must've sensed this, as she seemed to pause and watch my body tense. "You, my dear, are of grave importance to the Triwizard Tournament."

With a flurry of her robes, I watched my Professor walk away. As she made her way about the school like nothing had just happened, my mouth was left agape.

Little did she know, or maybe she knew all too well, how the feeling of fear she has instilled in me, would stretch far past the Second Task. This feeling of fear was so great, it had the ability to stretch back in time. Four weeks back in time, to be exact.

I suddenly didn't want to see Cedric anytime soon. And while a piece of me thanked myself for not throwing a biscuit earlier, a much larger piece of me knew the damage had been done. The moment our eyes met while my feet followed McGonagall, Cedric was ready to come after me.

How was I going to stop him this time?

------

Wow! 2 chapters in 1 day! How unlike me! And how 'unlike' our leading lady to change her feelings toward Cedric! ;)

Can't wait to see how she fends off the perfect golden boy this time!