Chapter 11

Anxiety returned. Starting at my toes and reaching up to the last hair on my head, it made my eyes snap open to see the darkness surround me.

Then came a more intense feeling, which made me almost wish for the anxiety to come back. Misery. It crept up like the anxiety, but much more quickly as I recalled what happened last night.

Cedric was selected, Harry was selected, Ron was jealous, Hermione protective and me light-headed. My fingers found the light bump on my head, which I rubbed with a sigh.

At least I didn't have to spend the night in the hospital wing, I thought while slowly peeling the curtain of my four-poster open. Darkness still captivated my eyesight, a crack in the window curtain letting a little bit of sunlight through. It must've been barely past 6, the little light an eerie gray behind the night clouds still out.

I was able to get out of bed, though. Without even igniting the end of my wand with a quick Lumos charm, I changed into jeans, threw on one of my Mum's old cardigans and made it all the way out of my dormitory without waking anyone up. I had a feeling the faintest bit of light or sound would have Hermione up, full of thoroughly thought through questions.

Few students were in the corridors on my way to breakfast. More students than I had passed in the halls were already eating. Maybe everybody else had had a fortune about Dumbledore plotting with Harry's life, and just couldn't wait any longer for a cup of tea.

I almost chuckled out loud at the thought, spilling a bit of coffee onto the table. My first sip was long and tasted like everything I needed. It was either the coffee itself or the deep breath I took, that had me finding spare headspace for the first time since last night.

The first thought in my clear mind that appeared: What the hell happened?

Taking another deep breath, I set down my coffee and massaged my temples. So, let's start from the beginning.

Cedric was chosen as the Hogwarts Champion.

Merlin, my brain already hurt. I took another swig of the still piping liquid, deciding to come back to that topic. But it kind of went along with the next event in my relay of last night.

Cedric was chosen as one of two Hogwarts Champions, alongside Harry. Harry, who was underage, had not entered himself and had not asked anyone to enter him.

As far as I knew.

No, I reminded myself. Harry wouldn't do that.

Even if he hadn't told me himself, the conversation I had overheard, or seen, between my teachers, told me he hadn't asked a student of age to slip his name into the Goblet.

Something or someone, associated with the Dark Mark, had targeted Harry and had him chosen from the Goblet.

I wonder who? Maybe someone who had already tried to kill him and failed. As easily as the name of You-Know-Who came, a swarm of less easy questions formed in my head.

How could You-Know-Who be targeting Harry? He was dead, was he not? Or was he in hiding? If so, why did he come out of hiding? Did someone help him out of hiding? Who helped him? Who had enough time and love for You-Know-Who to help him target a fourteen-year old boy? What was he going to do to Harry?

The last question caused me to choke, even without coffee in my mouth. The next question was one of my least favorite topics: Death. Was he going to kill Harry?

With who figured out, the other missing pieces buzzed. When? Where? How? But most importantly, Why?

The thought of Harry sleeping through this had the anxiety pecking at my toes again.