Chapter 13

Make sure to vote and comment!

Since Madam Pomfrey and no other teacher knew of my little night adventure, I was still seen as an ill-student. An ill-student who couldn't attend classes the next day and a half, only emerging from the Hospital Wing for lunch on the third day of my stay.

As uninviting as returning to lessons sounded, I was happy that my time in the Hospital Wing had expired. My one venture out, the one where I had seeked a jumper and ended up with having a late-night conversation with Harry, was my last foot outside of Madam Pomfrey's expert eye for almost 72 hours.

She seemed to find me perfectly healthy, but my sudden waves of sickness that washed over me in moments of Hermione visiting, as well as Dumbledore's suggestion, had me as her one overnight patient. And I could only assume there was nothing worse than having to care for a student, undeserving of her care.

With the word of mine and Cedric's fight reaching Madam Pomfrey's ears, her stink-eye towards me transformed into a sad, sort of sorry, look. She was quite close with Professor Sprout, who admired her own Hufflepuff Triwizard Champion quite directly.

Lunch was my first destination post solitary confinement, which I was being led to by Hermione. She had jumped on me the minute I stepped into the hall, reminding me more of Mrs. Norris, ready to pounce, and less like a friend, ready to make me feel better.

Hermione wasn't making me feel worse though. Ignoring the topic always itching to come out of her mouth, she didn't mention Cedric the entire way to the Great Hall. She was actually the first to give Ron a death-glare when he asked if I knew Cedric was preparing for the first task. It was only a few days away.

I gave Hermione a reassuring smile, telling her I was fine to talk about it, before looking back at Ron. He hadn't said anything about our small quarrel in the Great Hall. And since he hadn't said anything, and wasn't planning to with him asking about Cedric, I decided to follow suit and pretend it never happen.

"I'm not sure." I said honestly, stabbing my turkey with more power than intended. I guess I was focusing too hard on it instead of looking Ron in the eye.

"He hasn't said anything?" Ron asked again, leaning across the table and attracting the attention of his brothers. With Fred directly to Ron's left and George on my own right, I was cornered by the red-headed family.

"Has Harry said anything on how he's preparing?" I asked back. Harry wasn't at lunch and I had heard from Hermione the two weren't speaking. Ron might not know what terms I was on with Cedric, but I knew plenty about him and Harry.

"Harry isn't the rightful Hogwarts Champion." Ron straightened up. "Cedric is. Now tell me how he's getting ready for the task."

"I don't know. Honestly." I added, shrugging in honest defense. Ron didn't move a muscle. "The next time he talks to me you'll be the first to know." I said dryly, shifting my focus back to my plate. The last person I wanted to talk, let alone think about, was Cedric.

Those two wishes of mine being granted seemed unlikely at first, and moved to downright impossible when I felt someone over my shoulder.

I barely had to look behind me to see Cedric's tall frame. As quiet and mysterious as always around anyone but me, he stayed quiet when I didn't notice him.

Finally, after my second or third bite of mashed potatoes, Cedric started the conversation. Talking mostly to everyone at my table, but keeping his eyes on mine, I heard him ask if we were finished with the asparagus.

I looked up at Ron across the table, ready for him to pass the bowl over me. Me asking about Harry seemed to have him wanting payback because he didn't make a move toward the dish between us.