Chapter 32

Dedrick's POV

     It's been two days since the fiasco happened. I've been busy with pack work, dealing with the damage and barrier issues. I have higher skilled guards protecting the territory now  The lower ranked guards are now being trained more so they can catch up to their more advanced elders. I also have a few builders repair the damages to the buildings.

     Only a few died in the raid, thank the Moon Goddess for that, but there are many that got injured and a handful in critical condition. I have my staff taking care of them too, along with a few volunteers that are helping all around. It makes me proud to see my pack recover to easily.

     I wish the same was for my mate and his mother. Axel lost his best friend and has to deal with knowing his brother was in hiding this entire time. Miss Caroline is dealing with the losses too. I haven't even seen her since it happened. I make sure to have the omegas bring her food and make sure she's doing okay.

     My poor, sweet Axel has been riddled with guilt and depression. I spend as much time as I possibly can with him. Whenever we are together, he's just silent and clings onto me, and while under different circumstances, I wouldn't mind the clinginess. I think Axel is just doing it to feel the companionship he lost. Axel hasn't been eating again either. It's like we took 3 steps forward and then took 2 steps back. I can tell his energy isn't as high as it was for a while when he was eating regularly.

     With everything going the way it is though, I won't have to breathe down everyone's necks and I'll have a little off time. Tomorrow is going to be for my mate. I'm going to spoil him so much. I'll bring him to his mother to see if they can cheer each other up too. When my mate and his mother is better, I'll question Hayden. By myself at first. I don't know what his intentions were, but they weren't good. It's hard to tell if he's loyal to Axel and didn't know he was here, or he's forgotten about their bond from years ago.

     The day drags on. It's been busy, and everyone is hard at work. When I feel like they can handle the rest of the repairs on their own, I take my leave to spend time with my sweet Axel.

     When I walk in, I gasp a little at the beauty that's sleeping in my bed. The warm orange setting sun is casting a beautiful glow on Axel's already golden hair. His long, dark lashes fanning his cheeks, his blond locks falling in his face. I find myself walking over and kneeling in front of him. My hands softly cup his cheek and I bring my face closer to kiss his head. This makes the sleeping form stir a little, his light, unfocused, ice blue eyes open.

     "Dedrick?" He calls for me quietly, his melodic voice hoarse from hopefully sleeping and not from his crying.

     "I'm here, Love," I confirm for him and kiss him on the lips, his own moving a little against mine. When we pull away, he clings onto me like a small child. My mates small frame wrapping around me. I lay down on the bed with Axel on my chest. "Can you eat for me please?" I ask as he nestles his head in the crook of my neck.

     "I'm not hungry..." Axel mumbles.

     "I know you aren't hungry, but it's not good for you to skip meals; especially now with the baby," I say, purposely throwing the baby in. Axel already loves our pup so much. I feel him tense up and I start to get a wetness on my shoulder.

     I look over to see my poor mate cradling his barely there baby bump and crying.

     "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry... I was so selfish..." Axel sobs, holding me tight. My heart breaks a little. These last few days have been killed me. It hurts me so much to see my mate so depressed. I sit up and have Axel wrap his thin legs around me and I wrap him up in a blanket.

     When I know he's all covered up, I bring him downstairs to eat.

End of Chapter