Chapter Twenty Four

I gasped for air feeling like I was suffocating. I knew that it was impossible for me to suffocate because I didn't need air to breathe, but the feeling of not breathing was uncomfortable. The prison that I was subjected to had endured a lot of kicks from me, and the door had almost given out.

I wasn't sure how long id been in here, but I knew it had to be at least a year. I thought that Harry would try to find me, that he would come looking for me. I had given up hope on him finding me after the first few weeks.

I had tried to keep track of time by counting in my head, but id fall asleep or lose track of counting and then the hours would just blend together. I had just woken up from a nap so I assumed it was night time, but it was always dark in this prison.

I couldn't see how damaged the door was, but I could feel it giving way earlier. The more I kicked the more dirt would enter the box, so I looked at that as a good sign. I decided to take a nap to build up my strength, the thought of escaping too exciting.

I kicked the door with all my might and a pile of dirt fell in on me. I closed my mouth and eyes as it seemed to bury me alive, but I kept kicking my legs.

After countless times of trying, I finally felt the door give way. More dirt fell on top of me and I did my best to push through. I used my hands to move the dirt out of my way, trying to move as fast as I possibly could. The higher I dug the lighter the dirt felt above me and I felt my heart swell with joy at the realization that I was going to be free.

I lifted my hand high above my head and saw a ray of light enter the hole I made. I started to move faster as the light got closer and by the time I was at the top the hole I had made grew bigger, allowing more light to enter. As I pushed the last few inches out of the dirt tunnel I could feel the warmth of the sun on my skin.

I managed to push myself up and pulled myself out of the hole using my upper body strength. As my face hit the air, I gasped and took in the freshness. I laid down on my back as I let the sun shine on to me and gulped in the air greedily.

I stood up from the ground and stretched, marveling in how wonderful it felt to be free. I looked at the path that led to road and began to make my way there. Thoughts of seeing Harry made my feet move faster and I was on the road in no time.

I put my thumb out as cars passed me by but I was ignored by all of them. I sighed as I realized no one would want to pick up a girl who was covered in dirt. I started walking towards our house after I realized that hitch hiking wasn't going to work.

As I walked home, I noticed all the stares that I was getting. I had to remind myself that it wasn't every day that you'd see a girl with matted hair who was filthy. The walk was long, but it felt great to be able to move my legs and breathe in the air.

When I saw the familiar house in view, I smiled and began to run to the door. There were cars parked in the driveway that I didn't recognize, but I assumed that it was new cars he had bought.

I walked to the front door and rang the bell, not wanting to just walk in after being gone for a year. A minute later a boy who looked about my age answered the door. He had sandy blonde hair and bright green eyes that matched Harrys. I smiled at him as I realized they must be related.

"Can I help you?" He asked, eyeing me up and down.

"H-hi, is Harry home?" I asked, smiling as I realized that I was talking to someone besides myself.

"Yeah. Wait right here and I'll go get him." He said closing the door halfway.

"Dad!" I heard him call and I frowned. Why was he calling Harry dad?