Chapter 19 - The Letter Of A Loving Mother

Fa Mu Lan Point Of View

She died. My Xiǎo mèimei (Little Sister) died on my hand, I promised her that I will never let anything happen to her but still, she died under my care.

Xi Men, Xi Lan, and Xiulan are crying with me. How many hours had past but I am still crying for the loss of my beloved Xiǎo mèimei (Little Sister).

Looking to his son the firstborn child of the Emperor I am frightened what will happen to him. Without a mother to take care of him. The people in the palace will surely eat him alive.

How will I face him someday knowing I let his mother died under my care? Maybe someday he will blame me for what happened to his mother. 

I will accept all his anger towards me it that will happen.

What will I tell the Emperor? I need to inform him of what happened to his Concubine.

With a broken heart, I gathered all my courage to face the Emperor. 

Going outside I saw Prince Zhen coming to the wing.

"How was the delivery? Is it a boy or a girl?" he asks the moment we face each other.

"I... I killed her P-Prince Z-Zhen. I let her died under my care" I nervously said. Then my tears flow like a river. I cannot stop myself from crying. The feeling of blaming myself for what happens is so strong.

The Prince hug me tightly. "Sshhhh don't cry, Mu Lan. It's not your fault why she died. I know you love Concubine Ann and I know you did your best to keep her alive" he said with sympathy. "If you cannot save her no one will. You are the best herbalist in the Kingdom so if you cannot stop her from dying even me cannot stop it." He is patting my head to calm me.

We stay like that for a good thirty minutes. He was telling me a word of sympathy and encouragement that it is not my fault and do not blame myself.

"Prince Zhen I need to inform the Emperor. He has his Little Prince now." I inform the prince.

"Really? That is good news even though there is bad news also" he sadly said.

"Please take care of my Xiǎo mèimei (Little Sister) body. I will come back to arrange her funeral" I told him and walk away to look for the Emperor. After a few steps, I remember the child so I stop and said: "Please don't leave the Little Prince no matter what happens." 

Going to the palace hall the Emperor is not there. I ask the palace guard and he said that the Emperor is in his study so I went there directly.

At the entrance to his study, I notice some guards and servants not belong to the Emperor. I stop the Emperor's guard to announce my presence and push the door of the study.

What I saw got me furious and mad. Here I am worried that the Emperor might get sad about what happened to my Xiǎo mèimei (Little Sister) and there he is hugging someone else. 

What is the problem of the Emperor? Why he never change? Why is he treating everybody like an object that he uses for his pleasure only? Does he know the word empathy? Does he have even conscience?