Chapter 48 - The Dangerous Sickness

Fa Mu Lan Point Of View

The bed is shaking and that wakes me up together with the shouting of my sleeping husband beside me.

"Mu Lian! Mu Lian! Mu Lian!" Screams by my husband while phasing left and right. His whole body is wet with beads of sweat even though it is cold right now.

He is having a bad dream and obviously, it is about our beautiful son since he is calling his name. 

This is not the first time he woke me up like this, having nightmares and eventually screaming Mu Lian's name and end up stirring me up from my slumber.   

Being the Emperor of the land having enemies not only outside the Kingdom but inside as well making it hard for him to have a peaceful sleep sometimes. So many things on his shoulder that make him thinking even in his sleep.

There are people wanted to dethrone him and take the crown from him. Every day there are threats for his life and the rest of us, his family. 

Power. All people wanted power. I believed power is not the source of evil in this lifetime. It is not power that corrupts but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it.

Sometimes I wanted to elope with my family so that Qing and I will live peacefully but I know better than that.

Our people need us they need their Emperor to lead them to be better.

Less fortunate people needed us. Now is not the time to think selfish. 

Seeing my husband like this having nightmares and in agony reminds me that I should always be beside him all the time. 

Carefully I caress his head using my left hand to soothe him that will make him relax. Sleeping with him for years taught me not to wake him carelessly. A long time ago with my lack of better judgment, I woke him up hurriedly that caused him to react defending himself and choke me that almost killed me if he didn't recognize me quickly I could have died. From that night and other time, he has very bad dreams I found ways to wake him up from his terrorizing sleep without him harming me. 

"Qing I will be always here with you." I whisperers to his ear. "Everything will be alright. Everybody is fine." That is the best way I discovered to recite in him, that we are fine his family is safe and sound. Telling it to his sleeping form more time until he woke up on his own.

After a while, he slowly opens his eyes and smiled at me like he never had an unpleasant dream. He said before every time he has nightmares he was hearing my voice and I am appearing to his dreams telling him that everything will be alright and he does not need to be worry anymore telling him to wake up and I will be there for him and as always if he opens his eyes my face is the first thing he is seeing.