prolouge

the prologue
HOW OUR STORY BEGINS
"the universe was made just to be seen by my eyes."

Evelynn's quick footsteps echoed through the empty halls of the Ark as she made her way from Farm Station to Go-Sci Station

Evelynn's quick footsteps echoed through the empty halls of the Ark as she made her way from Farm Station to Go-Sci Station. Her heartbeat was the only sound she could hear as it thumped quick and loud through her whole body.

One guard swatted his arm out in front of her slowing her running to a sharp halt. He was demanding to see her ID or something like that. Evelynn barely heard him and, quite honestly, she just didn't care. She ducked under his arm and continued running, ignoring his shouts. She came to another quick stop, this time reaching her destination.

She attempted to slow her ragged breathing as she walked into the medical station. As she ducked in, she blinked quickly, trying to adjust her eyes to the blinding white light. The walls and floors were a bright white as well, a stark contrast from the dark metal everywhere on the Ark.

Evelynn ran to the nearest lady she could find and tapped her quickly on the shoulder until she had her attention. The brown haired lady turned around sharply, eyeing the girl with concern as she attempted to sweep her long, dark hair out of her eyes, her face covered in sweat and tears.

"Can you help my mom?"

»»————- ★ ————-««

Evelynn Ortega was 15 when Sophia Ortega was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure. Medical conditions like hers were few and far between on the Ark, maybe once common on Earth.

Sophia's case was extreme and sudden. Her heart, which once worked perfectly and helped her care for her husband and daughter, was now pumping blood erratically and not as well as it should. She was constantly dizzy and out of breath. And the coughing. She never stopped coughing.

Sophia Ortega lived in the medical station from then on. She was too weak to go from her home in Farm Station back to the medical station every few days. So she was kindly given her own white-walled room with bright lights of her own.

Evelynn's mom would constantly tell her, "If you keep wasting your days here with me, I will never be able to forgive myself," but Evelynn knew that her mom was grateful to have her by her side. Especially because her dad never came to visit. Sophia was always quick to defend her husband, telling Evelynn he was working hard for her and her medical bills.

But Evelynn could not bring herself to defend her father any longer. As time wore on she felt as if she didn't even have a dad. Evelynn's days consisted of leaving the house for school then going to the med station and then going back home. But her house never felt like a home after her mom moved out. It always felt empty and cold. Even if her father was home, he was drunk or passed out. Every night. She never even got to speak with him. He was never really there.

Mateo Ortega had reacted his wife's condition badly to say the least. He worked double shifts to pay the bills, although there wasn't much work to do for a farmer who's job was to separate rations. When he would get home no one would be there. The empty rooms haunted him of the life he used to have. He had a beautiful healthy wife who gave him a lovely daughter. But neither of them were there at the end of the day. He started trading his family's rations for bottles of moonshine. He decided that drowning his sorrows in a bottle was easier than facing his reality.