20 | click, boom

chapter twenty
CLICK, BOOM
"i thought we build a dynasty forever couldn't break up."

The sound of her heartbeat echoed inside of Evelynn's skull so loudly that she could hardly hear the gunshots from her rifle

The sound of her heartbeat echoed inside of Evelynn's skull so loudly that she could hardly hear the gunshots from her rifle. Her eyes scanned the perimeter wildly in the dark to try to get a good shot of the Grounders running past them.

"It's like shooting at ghosts." Harper muttered beside her, to which Evelynn only nodded, completely focused.

The two were crouched just outside of their foxhole, trying to get closer to the Grounders surrounding the entire camp. Since the woods around them were mined, they felt safer venturing more into the open.

"All gunners, listen up." Bellamy spoke urgently over the radio, "The Grounders aren't attacking. They're making us waste bullets. Don't fire until you're sure it's attack. Repeat, do not fire until you are sure."

Harper and Evelynn both simultaneously slightly lowered their rifles, still staring out into the darkness.

Waiting.

Waiting was the worst part. The fear gnawing at your insides of what might happen or could happen at any coming second.

Evelynn cocked her head, the Grounders that ran past them laterally now turned towards them and seemed to be getting closer.

"Are they attacking?" Harper's voice shook as she slightly raised her gun, "Do we shoot?"

A boys voice rung out over the radio, "Here they come!"

"We shoot." Evelynn confirmed.

She lifted her rifle and shot into the trees at a few coming Grounders, but the mines seemed to be keeping them back more than their guns as they exploded when the attackers approached.

There was a pack of very large looking Grounders who were getting closer and closer to them, their silhouettes casting shadows over them as they eclipsed the moon behind them.

"Why aren't the mines working anymore?" Harper asked quickly.

"Raven said the gully was partially mined." Evelynn said, fear flooding her.

The Grounders proceeded to get nearer, coming down the hill towards the gate.

"Harper, fall back." Evelynn muttered to her.

Harper didn't hesitate to crawl back into the safety of the foxhole.

"Okay," Evelynn said, standing up, "On my count, we shoot."