8 | shooting stars

chapter eight
SHOOTING STARS
"i could change all my ways if you say that you want me to. don't give up on me so soon."

"Evelynn! Wake up!" She heard someone yell in a sing-song voice from outside her tent

Evelynn groaned and sat up to see two shadows outside her tent, the sun bright behind them. She blinked fast trying to adjust her eyes to the blinding light. How long did she sleep?

"You better be dressed, because we're coming in," The voice spoke again. Before she could protest, in walked Jasper followed by Monty who had his eyes covered, just incase she wasn't modest.

Evelynn laughed, throwing her pillow at Jasper, "Please, you wish I wasn't dressed."

Monty peeked through his fingers and slowly let his hands fall to his side, "Good morning to you too,"

Jasper laughed and threw her pillow back at her and hit her square in the face, "You've been asleep all day,"

Evelynn yawned with disinterest in her tone, "So what? Did I miss anything?"

Jasper and Monty both sat in front of her in perfect unison, Jasper with a smirk, "Just everything."

Evelynn rolled her eyes at them and pulled her blanket around her anticipating a story, "Well, go on. What happened?"

Monty looked to the top of the tent trying to recall all of the details of the day, "Well, early this morning everyone woke up to the sound of something crashing into the atmosphere. It looked like it was a shooting star but it was—"

"A pod!" Jasper butted in with extreme excitement. Monty shoved him a bit out of annoyance of his story being interrupted, but Evelynn ignored it thrilled at what she heard.

"A pod? With food? Supplies? People?" Evelynn asked, excitement filling her body.

Jasper shook his head, "A girl."

Evelynn titled her head, "The Ark sent us a girl?"

Monty leaned forward, filling the gaps in Jasper's story, "A girl who was sent here to see if we were alive. The Council is voting on the Ark today whether to kill 300 people to save oxygen."

"But, if they think we're alive, then they won't have to," Jasper said, "That's why they sent the girl with a radio,"

"A radio!" Evelynn ripped off her blankets nearly jumping in the air with joy, "So can we talk to the Ark?"