9 | my responsibility

chapter nine
MY RESPONSIBILITY
"when the lights go out all around, whispers fill the air."

"Hey, everybody, gather around and grab a weapon

"Hey, everybody, gather around and grab a weapon." Bellamy shouted as he dropped a bundle of knives on the dirt, "My sister's been out there alone for 12 hours. Arm up. We're not coming back without her."

Evelynn grabbed a flashlight and stuck it in her jacket pocket as she turned to see Jasper cautiously joining the group with a torch in hand.

"Jasp, what are you doing?"

He turned to her and lifted his torch slightly with a forced smile, "I'm joining the search party."

Evelynn felt someone push past her to interject in the conversation, "Jasper, you don't have to do this. You haven't left camp since we brought you back."

Jasper turned his attention to the blonde, "Clarke, I need to do this."

"We need all the people we can get," Bellamy stepped into the little circle the three had created to interrupt the conversation as well.

As the group departed a bit, Evelynn stayed back to keep Jasper company. His hand was resting hesitantly on his chest where he was struck with the spear. He always kept his hand there as a new anxious habit. Evelynn grabbed his arm and linked it with hers like they had done many times before. She felt Jasper let go of some of his tension in her grasp.

"Guys, guys, come here!"

Everyone made their way over to create a large group as they looked to the sky together. What looked like hundreds of shooting stars fell from the sky, twinkling and shining.

"Do you see that?" Jasper asked in a hushed tone. Evelynn nodded in awe as they moved closer in the group to get a better view.

"They didn't work." Raven burst out, "They didn't see the flares."

Bellamy furrowed his brows and turned himself toward her, "A meteor shower tells you that?"

Clarke shook her head, her voice sharp, "It's not a meteor shower, it's a funeral."

Evelynn felt her heart drop to her stomach as she watched the twinkling bodies of people trail across the sky.

"Hundreds of bodies being returned to the Earth from The Ark. This is what it looks like from the other side." Clarke said growing more distressed, "They didn't get our message."

Evelynn felt Jasper's eyes on her as she became aware of her wide eyes full of tears that threatened to spill.

She quickly shook her head and blinked back her tears as rubbed Jasper's arm to comfort him, ignoring her emotions that begged to be expressed.

They failed, and 300 people paid the price. Maybe people that they knew. She couldn't find any words to make it better.

"This is all because of you!" Raven shoved her way through the crowd to face Bellamy, who was quick to put up his defense.