4 | secrets never stay secret

chapter four
SECRETS NEVER STAY SECRET
"and let my change of heart occur."

"The grounders cauterized the wound

"The grounders cauterized the wound. It saved his life." Clarke said, changing Jasper's bandages. Finn walked in circles around the room, "Yeah, saved his life so they could string him up for live bait."

Evelynn yawned as she pressed a cool cloth to Jasper's head in attempt to keep his fever down. She had been doing the same thing for three days straight with barely any sleep in between. Nobody could ignore the fact that Jasper wasn't exactly getting any better, but as long as he was breathing, they had hope.

Clarke's voice quickly became serious. There was a lot of that going on lately, "This is infected. He could be septic."

"Any progress on using the wristbands to contact the Ark?" Monty's mind was clearly somewhere else as he stared absentmindedly at Jasper. "Monty?"

He blinked and checked back into reality, "That would be a firm no."

Clarke ran her hands through her hair anxiously, "My mom would know what to do."

Evelynn put her hand out to grab Clarke's, "You do know what to do,"

Clarke looked into Evelynn's eyes knowingly as Wells showed up, "How can I help?"

Clarke didn't look at him, "Help hold Jasper down."

Finn knew what was happening as well and put a knife in the fire. Monty looked between everyone frantically, "I'm not going to like this, am I?"

Finn handed Clarke the red hot knife and everyone gathered around to hold Jasper down. As soon as the knife hit his flesh, Jasper let out a heart wrenching scream that sounded through the whole camp.

Evelynn quickly checked Jasper's pulse as he stopped screaming and his head started to fall to the side.

Clarke yelled out through clenched teeth, "Hold him still! I need to cut away the infected flesh."

Octavia burst through the dropship within second sliding next to Clarke, "Stop it! You're killing him!" Finn jumped in quick, "She's trying to save his life."

"She can't," the voice of Bellamy Blake rang out through the dropship. Evelynn felt her blood boil. To put it lightly, every single time Bellamy Blake uttered a word, she wanted to rip his head off. From his constant power trips these past three days to his tyrannical ways of dealing with camp, Evelynn was so done with his selfish ass.

Clarke spoke up, anger in her voice. "We didn't drag him through miles of woods just to let him die."

Bellamy ran his mouth again, "The kids a goner. If you can't see that, you're deluded. He's making people crazy."

Clarke lost her temper, "I'm sorry if Jasper is an inconvenience to you, but this isn't the Ark. Down here, every life matters."

Bellamy lowered his voice causing Evelynn to shutter, "Take a look at him. He's a lost cause."