11 | see you around

chapter eleven
SEE YOU AROUND
"and he'll race for miles through the night,
he runs because he knows he cannot hide."

"Welcome back

"Welcome back."

Evelynn's eyes flickered up to Miller who was tossing his beanie from hand to hand, sitting a few feet away from her, near the Grounder.

She moved her gaze to the Grounder, still tied up and bloody, looking immensely tired.

She began to sit up and noticed Bellamy who was still holding her. He yawned and stretched as she sat up, "Sleep well?"

She eyed him, "You obviously didn't."

He ignored her comment and moved to examine her arm. A cringe crossed his face as he looked at her wound. It was red and puffy, some blood still covering the damaged skin, new stitches cascading her upper arm, "We should have bandaged this earlier."

Evelynn shooed him off, "It's fine."

He shook his head, still focused on her wound, "It's not fine."

He turned his attention to Miller who was on Grounder-watch, "Miller, go and get some water, I'll get some bandages."

He then turned to Evelynn, "You stay here." Bellamy then eyed the Grounder suspiciously, "And watch out for him."

Evelynn rolled her eyes, "I'm sure I'll be fine."

Bellamy stood up and placed a hand on her head, "I'm serious."

"I am too."

Bellamy hesitated for a second before nodding to her and turning to leave, motioning for Miller to follow him. They both left the floor without another word, clattering down the ladder.

As soon as they were gone, Evelynn jumped to her feet and went to a bucket with fabric they kept in a corner.

She wanted so badly to help the Grounder they brutally tortured in anyway she could.

The water and the makeshift bandages were all bloody already, but using it to clean the Grounder up was better than leaving him as he was.

Evelynn felt pained as she looked at him. He was a human. A man. A real person. Not the monster or animal that everyone likes to believe.

As she walked towards the Grounder, he began grunting and trying to back away. Evelynn was afraid of him, he was very intimidating, but he was afraid of her too.

"I'm not going to hurt you." She told him quietly. She didn't know if he could understand her, but she spoke anyway, "I'm going to help you."

She reached into the bucket of water and picked up a rag, shivering as she felt the Grounder's eyes on her as she began to wash off a cut on his arm.

Evelynn sucked in her cheeks as she washed the wound, the Grounder still staring at her intensely, "I'm sorry that they did this to you."

She didn't know if she was talking to the Grounder or herself, "Being on the ground has been hard on them. I mean, we're just kids, and now we are making life or death decisions before we're even adults."