17 | damsel in distress

chapter seventeen
DAMSEL IN DISTRESS
"so can we just pretend that we're not falling into the deep end?"

Evelynn was the first one to see the search party return as she towered over the rest of the camp at the Gunner's post

The moon shone brightly behind them when she spotted a group of moving figures approach their camp. She recognized Raven's ponytail.

Excitement rushed through her body as she bellowed to the people below her, "Open the gates! They're back!"

She quickly jumped down to the ground as the gates opened, her rifle hitting her back with her swift motion.

Evelynn's relief was short lasted when she spotted the group carrying in a stretcher. Her eyes fell on the young boy she realized was Myles.

She scanned the group but there was no sign of Clarke or Finn.

Or Monty.

Then the gates shut.

Her eyes then fell on Bellamy, but he purposely kept his head down, avoiding eye contact as he walked the stretcher straight to the dropship.

An explosive sob began to bubble into her chest before her mind got a chance to process what she saw.

How could this be it?

Was this their lives now? Their friends and loved ones being picked off one by one?

"We need your help."

Octavia gently placed her hand on Evelynn's shoulder causing her to jump.

She turned frantically but softened when she saw Octavia's face twisted into the same horrified frown as her own, "Myles is losing a lot of blood and, well, without Clarke you're the only one who knows how to help."

Without Clarke.

Evelynn sucked in a laborious gasp of air, blinked back her tears, and followed Octavia to the drop ship.

All eyes turned to her as she walked in.

The girl made leader and medic in one day.

Myles laid vulnerably in the middle of the drop ship squirming and groaning, fist clamped forcefully around the arrow painfully lodged in his stomach.

The sight of him caused the tears Evelynn has been vainly holding back to fall. But she didn't stop, she carried on walking towards him, rolling up her sleeves to get to work.