6 | hysteria

chapter six
HYSTERIA
"did we light too many matches? turned ourselves into these ashes?"

chapter sixHYSTERIA "did we light too many matches? turned ourselves into these ashes?"

Evelynn wasn't surprised that she had another sleepless night. She just hoped she wasn't disturbing Clarke by tossing and turning so much in the night.

Atom haunted all of her dreams. Every time she closed her eyes, he was there, bloodied and burned. He was calling her name. He was dead.

When the sun peeked through the tent, she decided she might as well get up. Her head felt fuzzy and heavy which was probably from lack of sleep and water. She wondered if the vitals her wristband was transmitting were as crappy as she felt.

She wandered around the camp quietly feeling the crisp air around her and feeling the soft dirt under her feet. Earth was so peaceful.

Unfortunately, the peacefulness was very shortly ended when a horrified scream pierced the air.

Evelynn ran as quick as she could to the source of the screams and found a girl who she recognized by the name of Harper. Her light brown hair was clinging to her face as she was crying and yelling. Evelynn ran to her to see what she was pointing at.

She stood next to Harper on the hill and looked down to see Wells, motionless, surrounded by dark blood seeping into the soft soil, the leaves around him covered in dry blood.

Why did everyone keep dying?

Evelynn instinctively grabbed Harper and moved her away from the scene, pulling her hair off her face and trying to calm her down. She put an arm around the girl in an attempt to comfort her.

She didn't really know anything about Harper, aside from her name, but she figured now wasn't a good time for introductions.

Soon more people were running to them, creating a giant crowd of delinquents all shouting and yelling about what they saw.

"Back it up!" She heard a low voice boom. Bellamy was shoving everyone out of the way to see what the commotion was about.

He stared at the scene, panic rising in his features. He quickly regained his composure and turned to face a couple of his boys who followed him, "Get the stretcher."

He then raised his voice to speak to the group, "The Grounders attacked last night. To make sure this doesn't happen again we need to keep them out. Today, we build the wall. Everyone go to your assigned stations, it's time to get to work."

The group dispersed with some groans and complaints but Harper didn't move, so neither did Evelynn.

Bellamy walked up to them slowly brushing dirt off his pants, "You two okay?" His question was answered by Harper letting out a pent up sob that wracked her body.

He looked to Evelynn, "She was the one who found the body. She's pretty shaken up."

Bellamy moved his head in a motion that looked like it was supposed to be a nod, but fell short because he was staring urgently into Evelynn's eyes. She glared a little, "I'm fine, freckles."