13 | unity day

chapter thirteen
UNITY DAY
"we were never welcome here at all."

"My friends, this is an historic Unity Day

"My friends, this is an historic Unity Day."

Gathered around the crackling static screen, the delinquents watched the face of the man who sentenced them all to their death on the Ground as he spoke of unity and togetherness.

"Every year, we mark the moment our ancestors of the 12 stations joined to form The Ark, but this is the last time we do so while aboard her. Next year, on the Ground."

"Right. After we did all the work." Miller sneered, "Someone shut him up."

Raven nudged him in the ribs, "You shut up, Miller. No one's forcing you to watch."

Evelynn chuckled as Miller, defeated, slunk away from the screen. As he did, a booming laugh exploded through the air. Jasper came out of his tent wielding a giant jug over his head.

"Monty strikes again!" He shouted. Evelynn shook her head at him with a smirk forming on her lips. Alcohol. Of course.

"Call this batch 'Unity Juice'!" Jasper laughed as the kids all came running towards him, dropping their guns and leaving the screen where Jaha still addressed them, "Who's thirsty?"

Evelynn ignored the stampeding teens and turned her attention back to Jaha, Finn stepping beside her, "To our sons and daughters on earth listening to this message, we will see you soon. The first Exodus ship will launch in under 60 hours, carrying you the reinforcements that you need, so stay strong. Help is on the way."

"I don't know if I'm insulted or relieved." Evelynn said to Finn.

He turned to her with an eyebrow raised, "Well, since we would freeze to death if they weren't coming down, I'm feeling more relieved than anything else."

She hummed in agreement turning to face the remaining 100 who were all drinking like it was the end of the world.

"Want to join me for a drink?" She asked.

He hesitated before answering, "I'll pass."

Evelynn shrugged at him and then watched him turn towards Raven's tent.

"Jasper! Pour me a drink!"

»»————- ★ ————-««

The night fell quick. Evelynn didn't know if it was because of the shorter days due to the oncoming winter or the fact that they all drank the day away.

She scanned the camp ground slowly in a haze watching all the smiling faces around her. She took note that Bellamy was nowhere in sight. She didn't mind.

He had been nagging her for days about learning to shoot a gun, but she refused to even touch one.

She did not want to have the power to take someone else's life. Who were they to carry around machines that could kill?